RAYS 4, Mariners 1 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Alex Cobb. Let’s take a look at Corn Cobb’s last 4 starts: 28 innings (7 ip each start), 21 hits, 21 Ks, 3 walks, 1.93 ERA. This won’t last forever, but there’s no way Cobb is coming out of the rotation as long as he is working to a sub-2.00 ERA and a 7-to-1 K-to-walk ratio…BJ Upton. He looked horrible in his last at bat. But before that he crushed his 3rd home run in the last 3 games. And while he is not exactly “hot,” he does have a hit in 9 of his last 10 games…Desmond Jennings. Flash is starting to look like that guy that got called up last summer, with 11 hits and 3 walks in the last 6 games.
THE BAD: Another Injury. This time it was pitching prospect Alex Colome who left last night’s start with pain in his shoulder. Colome is one of the Rays top ten prospects, and was making just his 3rd start at triple-A after 14 starts in double-A with a 3.48 ERA and 75 strikeouts in 75 innings.
THE TELLING: Evan Longoria got the night off to rest his hamstring…Luke Scott is still a few days away from returning…The Rays have now won 7 in a row for the first time since 2010…The Rays are 63-52, have the 3rd best record in the AL, are 5 games behind the Yankees, lead the Wild Card, and are 1.5 games in front of the A’s, the 3rd place team in the Wild Card.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Your jaw-dropping video of the day is former Rays pitcher Randy Choate nearly getting killed by a baseball. [BI Sports]
- Buster Olney of ESPN.com calls the Rays “Baseball’s Most Dangerous Team.” And if you are not an Insider, somebody may or may not have posted that article in the comments HERE. [ESPN Insider]
- The national media is starting to notice how well the Rays are playing. Here’s the “Power Rankings” from the NYDailyNews. [NYDailyNews]
- Fangraphs looks at the Rays new lineup with Ben Zobrist at SS and Evan Longoria back, and it’s actually pretty good. [Fangraphs]
- And here’s another look at the Rays’ new lineup. [ESPN]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Toledo 7, DURHAM 5. Alex Colome worked 4.2 innings before being pulled with shoulder pain…Tim Beckham went 1-4 with a double and a walk as the leadoff hitter…1B Leslie Anderson went 2-4 with 2 singles…LF Chris Gimenez had a single, a walk, and 2 RBI.
MONTGOMERY. No game scheduled
CHARLOTTE. No game scheduled
BOWLING GREEN 0, West Michigan 4. Ryan Carpenter gave up 2 runs in 6 innings. He struck out 2 and walked none…RF Drew Vettleson was 1-5 with an RBI and 1B Jeff Malm had a pair of doubles…DH Cameron Seitzer was 2-4 with 2 doubles and 2 RBI. He’s hitting .303.
HUDSON VALLEY. No game scheduled
PRINCETON. No game scheduled