RAYS 7, Angels 0 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: King David. At this point, what is left to say about David Price? 7 shutout innings, giving up just 3 hits and 2 walks, striking out 8. That is now 11 straight starts in which Price worked at least 7 innings. And in 9 of his last 10 starts he has allowed 2 runs or less. Since the All-Star break, Price is 5-0 in 7 starts with a 1.43 ERA and 4.2 strikeouts for every walk (3.0+ is considered great)…Evan Longoria. Longo hit his first home run since April, and it looked like the weight of the world had been lifted…Derek Shelton. Shelton hit 3 home runs last night. Give that guy a raise!
THE BAD: A Panicky Fanbase. The Rays went 3-up, 3 down in the first inning, and many Rays fans openly worried about being no-hit again. It was ONE INNING!
THE TELLING: The Rays are 64-54, tied with the Orioles for the Wild Card lead. The Tigers, A’s, and Angels are all within 2.5 games. The Rays now have a 60.1% shot at making the playoffs according to CoolStandings.com.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Rob Neyer comes to the defense of Joe Maddon’s ejection during Felix Hernandez’ perfect game. [BaseballNation]
- And Joe Maddon explains why he was arguing with the umpire. [TampaBay.com]
- “There is rampant use of synthetic testosterone in Major League Baseball.” [BI Sports]
- David Price is afraid of sharks. Like, really afraid (thanks Andrea). [IMAGE]
- When I was 13, I was already 6-feet tall, but I didn’t weigh 200 pounds, and I was dominating the Little League World Series. Oh, and I also wasn’t from Japan. [BI Sports]
- How many players do you think have played 1,000 games in a Yankees uniform (the equivalent of 6.5 seasons). [Sports Chart of the Day]
- Bucs play their second preseason game tonight. Be sure to check out Joe Bucs Fan for all the coverage you need. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Columbus 7, DURHAM 1. Lance Pendleton gave up 6 runs, including 3 home runs in 5 innings…2B Tim Beckham went 1-4 with a strikeout…LF Will Rhymes had a pair of singles and a walk in 4 plate appearances…SS Reid Brignac went 0-3 and both 1B Henry Wrigley and DH Leslie Anderson went 0-4.
MONTGOMERY 4, Huntsville 3 (10). RF Mikie Mahtook went 2-4 with a walk and 2B Derek Dietrich was 0-4 with 2 Ks.
Bradenton 5, CHARLOTTE 4. RF Todd Glaesmann hit his 18th home run of the year, and his 5th since being promoted to high-A…DH Luke Scott went 0-3 with a strikeout and 2 walks.
BOWLING GREEN 6, Great Lakes 2. Parker Markel struck out 6 and walked none in 6 innings. He allowed 1 run…DH Cameron Seitzer hit his 3rd home run…RF Drew Vettleson went 0-5 with 2 Ks and LF Josh Sale was 1-4 with a pair of strikeouts.
HUDSON VALLEY 8, Connecticut 3. Jesse Hahn struck out 6 and allowed just 1 hit in 5 shutout innings…3B Richie Shaffer went 3-4 with his 3rd professional home run. He also had a walk and is now hitting .308.
PRINCETON 5, Burlington 4. Kevin James struck out 6 and walked none in 4 innings, allowing 1 run. His ERA is now 3.03…SS Brandon Martin hit 2 home runs, his 6th and 7th.