RAYS 7, Angels 0 (boxscore)

THE GOOD: King David. At this point, what is left to say about David Price? 7 shutout innings, giving up just 3 hits and 2 walks, striking out 8. That is now 11 straight starts in which Price worked at least 7 innings. And in 9 of his last 10 starts he has allowed 2 runs or less. Since the All-Star break, Price is 5-0 in 7 starts with a 1.43 ERA and 4.2 strikeouts for every walk (3.0+ is considered great)…Evan Longoria. Longo hit his first home run since April, and it looked like the weight of the world had been lifted…Derek Shelton. Shelton hit 3 home runs last night. Give that guy a raise!

THE BAD: A Panicky Fanbase. The Rays went 3-up, 3 down in the first inning, and many Rays fans openly worried about being no-hit again. It was ONE INNING!

THE TELLING: The Rays are 64-54, tied with the Orioles for the Wild Card lead. The Tigers, A’s, and Angels are all within 2.5 games. The Rays now have a 60.1% shot at making the playoffs according to CoolStandings.com.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Rob Neyer comes to the defense of Joe Maddon’s ejection during Felix Hernandez’ perfect game. [BaseballNation]
  • And Joe Maddon explains why he was arguing with the umpire. [TampaBay.com]
  • “There is rampant use of synthetic testosterone in Major League Baseball.” [BI Sports]
  • David Price is afraid of sharks. Like, really afraid (thanks Andrea). [IMAGE]
  • When I was 13, I was already 6-feet tall, but I didn’t weigh 200 pounds, and I was dominating the Little League World Series. Oh, and I also wasn’t from Japan. [BI Sports]
  • How many players do you think have played 1,000 games in a Yankees uniform (the equivalent of 6.5 seasons). [Sports Chart of the Day
  • Bucs play their second preseason game tonight. Be sure to check out Joe Bucs Fan for all the coverage you need. [JoeBucsFan]

DOWN ON THE FARM

Columbus 7, DURHAM 1. Lance Pendleton gave up 6 runs, including 3 home runs in 5 innings…2B Tim Beckham went 1-4 with a strikeout…LF Will Rhymes had a pair of singles and a walk in 4 plate appearances…SS Reid Brignac went 0-3 and both 1B Henry Wrigley and DH Leslie Anderson went 0-4.

MONTGOMERY 4, Huntsville 3 (10). RF Mikie Mahtook went 2-4 with a walk and 2B Derek Dietrich was 0-4 with 2 Ks.

Bradenton 5, CHARLOTTE 4. RF Todd Glaesmann hit his 18th home run of the year, and his 5th since being promoted to high-A…DH Luke Scott went 0-3 with a strikeout and 2 walks.

BOWLING GREEN 6, Great Lakes 2. Parker Markel struck out 6 and walked none in 6 innings. He allowed 1 run…DH Cameron Seitzer hit his 3rd home run…RF Drew Vettleson went 0-5 with 2 Ks and LF Josh Sale was 1-4 with a pair of strikeouts.

HUDSON VALLEY 8, Connecticut 3Jesse Hahn struck out 6 and allowed just 1 hit in 5 shutout innings…3B Richie Shaffer went 3-4 with his 3rd professional home run. He also had a walk and is now hitting .308.

PRINCETON 5, Burlington 4. Kevin James struck out 6 and walked none in 4 innings, allowing 1 run. His ERA is now 3.03…SS Brandon Martin hit 2 home runs, his 6th and 7th.

Tags

1. Beth says:

Price has been so quietly effective that I fear he'll be overlooked for Cy Young. No spectacular feats (e.g. huge number of strikeouts, no hitters), simply pitching 7 innings, scattering hits, limiting walks, and winning unless his team can't muster a hit or his bullpen lets him down.

If there's any room for improvement, I'd say it's maintaining his command throughout so he can limit deep counts and occasionally go 8 or 9 innings.

2. Michael says:

I have to admit I was definitely concerned after the first inning.

• Gus says:

In my house nobody breathes easy until the first hit is secured. In last two seasons the Rays must lead the majors in going hitless through 4 innings. Probably 15 times. Only the Padres playing by the Dead Sea with a AAA line-up would be close to the Rays.

I heard on one of the telecasts that their average increases dramatically each time through the order. Do you have that stat Cork? How about going hitless late into games?

• KT says:

I would think that most teams AVG increases each time through the order, the more your see a pitcher's stuff the better your chances (in theory)

• Cork Gaines says:

The Rays are batting .237 the first time through the order, but after that it is pretty stable (.262 2nd time, .264 3rd time, .269 4th time). And like KT said, that is fairly standard with more teams, however I am not sure if that much of an increase is common. It may also just seem like more with the Rays because they are not very good offensively.

• Beth says:

True with us as well! Sometimes, if I'm busy and can't watch a whole game I'll tell myself that I'll watch until the Rays get their first hit (after which whatever happens can't be all that bad). Last night I planned to go to sleep after I saw the Rays get their first hit (these west coast games are killers) but ended up staying up later -- the pleasure of watching Rays hitters actually hit and score was so delicious that I couldn't turn it off.

3. Dave L says:

To put a capstone on the PG saga and to see why the team doesn't get to high or low here is a quote from JoeMa yesterday-

"We're kind of spread out, we rely on the entire group to play offense," Maddon said. "If we're matched up poorly as we were yesterday, it can happen. ... If we match up badly, it can happen. It can happen to anybody, but with us, there are certain games going into them I know that we don't match up very well against that pitcher. Why? Poor us, I don't know. But I'm thankful it only counts as one loss and not five."

Maddon smiled and pointed out that Hernandez pitched a complete-game, two-hit shutout against the Yankees on Aug. 4.

"And that's not bad either," Maddon said. "Relatively speaking, two-hitting the Yankees and no-hitting us is probably the same thing."

4. don says:

Just read that baseball nationarticle, the guy should not be writing baseball articles....
    Let me ask anyone/everyone "Do you think it was more important for Maddon to disrupt King Felix for 3 min. in an arguement that he can't win & he gets thrown out of the game for doing it.... or for a Manager to be available in the last 3 innings of a 1 to 0 game??? ask me..then answer for yourself..