Rangers 1, RAYS 0 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: James Shields. Another 1-0 loss (4th in August) means another strong pitching performance wasted. His lone blemish was a solo home run. Otherwise, it was an 8 strikeout performance allowing just 3 hits and 2 walks.
THE BAD: Wasted Opportunities. Before going cold in the final 4 innings (1 for last 14 with 8 strikeouts), the Rays had at least 1 runner on base in each of the first 5 innings and had a runner in scoring position with less than 2 outs in 3 innings and couldn’t push a run across the plate. The worst incident occurred in the second inning when Ben Zobrist failed to score on Luke Scott’s double. Instead of picking of Tom Foley’s signal at third base, Zobrist held up at second base unsure what to do…Carlos Pena. To call Pena “cold” or “struggling” is an insult to hitters that are cold or struggling. After going 0-4 with 4 Ks last night, Pena is now has 4 hits and 21 strikeouts in his last 12 starts. And in his last 94 games, he is hitting .170 and has struck out in 31.7% of his plate appearances…BJ Upton. 2 more strikeouts last night, and Bossman now has 18 Ks in his last 10 games.
THE TELLING: Matt Joyce had to leave the game with a forearm strain and is day-to-day…Jeff Niemann will start on Saturday…Rays are first team to lose four 1-0 games in a single calendar month since 1969. The Rays are now 18-23 on the season in 1-run games (amazing considering how good the bullpen is) and the Orioles are 24-6…The Rays are now 70-59, 5 games behind the Yankees and 1.5 games behind both the A’s and O’s.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Joe Maddon was not very happy about Sean Rodriguez breaking his hand, noting that “there’s no real great solace” in knowing Rodriguez might be available later in September…Also Marc Topkin speculates on who will be promoted when roster expand, noting some will arrive on Saturday, and others on Monday. [TampaBay.com]
- Leslie Anderson, who now lead the IL in hitting, was just named an IL post-season all-star. [WDBB]
- The Yankees and Dodgers will play each other next season in what could be the most expensive matchup in sports history. [BI Sports]
- Twelve players have made at least $150 million in their career. The common theme? Yankees and steroids. [BI Sports]
- Hey Rays fans, does this song sound familiar? Is nothing sacred anymore? [RI Videos]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
DURHAM @ Norfolk. postponed
MONTGOMERY 7, Jacksonville 4. 2B Derek Dietrich went 2-4 with 3 RBI…LF Omar Luna had 3 hits, including a double. He’s hitting .308.
Palm Beach 5, CHARLOTTE 2 (gm 1). RF Todd Glaesmann hit his 21st home run of the year. That leads the entire Rays organization, including the Rays.
Palm Beach 3, CHARLOTTE 0 (gm 2). Jim Patterson threw 5 shutout innings, giving up just 2 hits and a walk.
BOWLING GREEN 6, South Bend 4. RF Drew Vettleson went 1-4…1B Jeff Malm was 0-3 with a walk.
Staten Island 7, HUDSON VALLEY 5. C Jake Depew was 2-3 with an RBI.
Elizabethton 6, PRINCETON 4. 1B Daryl George was 3-5 with a double.