Just a little while ago, the official Twitter account for the Tampa Bay Rays sent out the following tweet…

smh why do pepole bring babies to work?? you cant get stuff done with babies around. another reason why im single lol

The tweet has since been deleted, but can be seen in this screenshot.

And yes, it was probably just the person behind the account forgetting which account they were logged into. And frankly, there have been Rays players that have sent Tweets a lot worse than this that we have ignored. But as a parent, this pisses me off. And maybe the real reason this person is single is because they bitch about co-workers behind their backs to the entire world on Twitter.

[UPDATE] The same Twitter account is now going with the old “We were hacked!” defense. Because of course, when somebody hacks the official Twitter account of a professional sports team, they are going bitch about parents and babies as opposed to doing something like this.

1. Beth says:

Actually, I'm a parent and I don't think people should bring their kids -- whether they are babies or surly adolescents -- to work. Please don't make this a "parents vs. the rest of the world" issue.

But I don't plan to share this sentiment on my employer's twitter account.

• Cork Gaines says:

My point was not whether or not people should bring their kids to work. My point was the incessant need of some single people to constantly bitch about the decisions parents make without knowing why the decisions were made.

• Paco says:

Well Cork, if your decision (regardless of the reason) impacts other people, those people have the right to complain. Being a parent doesn't make you infallible.

If I decided to wear a hat that made loud noises every time someone walked by, would my co-workers have a right to complain? Or would it be okay because I have a dry scalp and couldn't find a safe place to put my hat? Your kid may be the most important thing in the world to you, but that doesn't mean he has to be everyone elses.

• Cork Gaines says:

Complaining is not my problem. Not every parent makes good decisions. However, complaining behind the backs of parents without first finding out why is my problem. Parents often have to do things with their babies that is out of their control. And most parents that I know hate the idea of being a nuisance or a bother to other people, and it eats at them inside. But babies exist and are kind of important to the continuation of the human race. as much as some people would like it, we can't just pretend they don't exist and we can't just lock them up in dark dungeons until they are 18.

• Paco says:

So you don't have a problem with complaining, it's behind-your-back stuff that's not ok?

You'd actually prefer if that person came right up to you and said, "Man, that baby of yours is quite a nuisance and is making it difficult for me to work." To you that's a better option than venting to some friends on Twitter?

• Cork Gaines says:

Actually, my first choice would be that people understand that being a parent is a very difficult and thankless job. But if that is not possible for some people to understand, then yes, go to the source and find out why it is happening. They might actually learn something.

• Dave says:

"But babies exist and are kind of important to the continuation of the human race."

More than the child or his/her behavior, it is sanctimonious crap like this that aggravates me as a childless person. I don't believe for one second that you ever thought about having a child out of concern for keeping the human race alive. You thought about having a child to keep your own genetic line alive. But then you cop an attitude like you're entitled to some sort of special privilege as "keeper of the race" because you did what every freaking animal on the planet is capable of. If you read non-baseball news you will see that the human race is killing each other over natural resources. Closer to the truth is that your decision to bring yet another person into this world of limited resources tilts the future of mankind in the wrong direction.

What's really happening is you had a kid, you found out that it requires effort, and that continuous effort makes you tired and cranky, so you redirect your frustrations from your precious child onto those who don't have to deal with the same kind of effort. How dare you look down on others because you are frustrated with your own decisions in life?

• Cork Gaines says:

You idiot. I never said that was why I had babies. I have never in my life heard somebody say they were having babies to save the human race. And I am an evolutionary biologist that has worked with a lot of evolutionary biologists.

But the fact is kids are important. Even idiots like you wouldn't be here if you werent once a kid.

But the funniest part is you have gone around, apparently for a long time, angry over something that doesn't even exist. That made me laugh. But not enough to keep reading the rest of your nonsensical rant.

• laura says:

um, Paco, you just compared a living, breathing, child with needs and feelings to a noisy hat. also, Cork never said parents have an unalienable right to do whatever with their kids withour regard for others. However, to imply (as the "hacker" did) that there is no reason ever to have your kids at work (maybe the mom/dad had to keep the child home sick, but needed to drop something off/pick something up at the office? should they leave a small child in a hot car?! seriously)? Just have a little class, that is it.

• Beth says:

But bringing your sick child into the office is makes sense -- either for the child or for the co-workers who can now get sick as well?

I can't believe I'm getting caught up on this conversation on a baseball site, but I guess it hits a nerve. I've had both co-workers and people I supervise think that they could avoid paying for daycare by "working" with their kids in tow. Bad idea.

• Dave L says:

No need to take them to work.

Remember there is always Swifts modest proposal.......

• Raysfan137 says:

Two possible answers:
        1. Someone thought they were venting on Twitter about something they didn't like. Perfectly acceptable behavior on your private Twitter account. Honest mistake. Th

2. They opened with a question as opposed to a complaint. They admitted they don't understand it, implying that there could a viable reason. Then they stated their problem with it. Seems reasonable to me.

All due respect, Cork. But you made a bit of a mountain out of a molehill. People without kids don't have the same perspective as those with. Those with, have had both perspectives, but often forget what it was like before.

What if this person was doing this little Twitter vent to get it out, then get right back to work ? If it let some emotion out while avoiding a confrontation Tweet away. What's the big deal ?

• Beth says:

Actually, it's my experience as a parent that makes me dislike this practice. Before I had kids I might have thought a person could get work done with a well behaved kid in their office. Now I know it's not possible. And parents who insist on bringing kids to work, or claiming they can "work at home" while minding their 2 year old, create an environment where all parents are suspect as employees.

• laura says:

Ok, sick with an ear infection, those aren't contagious, does that pass your test of allowable parental actions? Or say you were on the way to take your kid to get their vaccines and you forgot something at the office? Seriously, why do people think they can be the self-appointed baby police? Kids are HUMAN BEINGS, not inconveniences.

• Brandon Rays Fan says:

The method of delivery shouldn't change whether the message is right or wrong. I always tell people, sub "black person" for "baby."

"smh why do people bring BLACK PEOPLE to work?? you cant get stuff done with BLACK PEOPLE around."

If you wouldn't say it about a person of another color, you shouldn't say it about babies. I know it's not racism, but it is still a level of discrimination.

• Beth says:

You are joking, right?

• Dave L says:

You are taking this conversation from the ridiculous to the sublime, right where it belongs.

Play ball!

• Brandon Rays Fan says:

Hell no I am not joking. Would you prefer "old people" or "handicapped people"? It is still making a generalization about a specific class of people. In this case, parents and children. Why does it suddenly become ok? I'm sure there are people out there that don't like being around black people and find it hard to get work done.

• laura says:

YES. this.

• Raysfan137 says:

If you keep being so logical and succinct we are going to hack your Twitter account and say how much you love baseball teams Sam Malone used to pitch for.

2. laura says:

The chief irony is, it is probably way harder to get stuff done when you are "hacking" your employers twitter account. Bottom line, this is not about where kids should and should not be, this is about being a passive aggressive jerk (to coworkers, specifically, and fans, accidentally).

3. Dave L says:

Thanks for reason #239 supporting my decision to never ever read waste my time reading the twitter.

When they scroll across the screen some mindless no capital letter blather from some nobody with some lightweight puffery to add i want to put my sandal through the HDTV.

I hope that trend dies and doesn't grow.

I think kids should be allowed at work, jail,prisonvisits,drughouses,and police stations...after all their human too..let them experience...Live

5. LOL says:

LOL

6. Cork Gaines says:

I think you meant "you're"

7. Cork Gaines says:

So you think every parent should quit their job AND stop caring about grammar?

8. Raysfan137 says:

The verb "think" was not part of either of those communications, Cork. :)