RAYS 6, Indians 0 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: King David. This was a huge game for David Price. At no point was I watching this game and said “wow!” And there have certainly been games where he was more dominant. But at the end of the game you look up and Price had pitched 7 shutout innings and gave up just 2 hits. And this is why he is now growing into one of the best pitchers in baseball. It is one thing to dominate a team with his best stuff. But great pitchers can still dominate with less than their best stuff…BJ Upton. He had 3 hits. But the big one was a bases-clearing double that broke the game wide open. And I know Joe Maddon hates to have back-to-back righties at the top of the order. But isn’t the best Rays lineup with BJ and Desmond Jennings at the top, either 1-2 or 2-1?…Wade Davis. The game was not in doubt, but one day after four relievers were pounded, Big Dub came in and gave Joe Maddon 2 shutout innings, resting the rest of the ‘pen.
THE BAD: Hideki Matsui. The end is near. Let’s hope the Rays at least sold a few jerseys.
THE TELLING: Matt Joyce was not in the lineup yesterday because he was “stiff and sore“…The Rays are 48-45, 1 game behind the Detroit Tigers in the Wild Card race…Matt Mangini was inactivated by the Durham Bulls to make room for Will Rhymes.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Be sure to click below for a funny GIF from yesterday’s game.
- Today is the last day to enter our contest for a $100 gift card. All you have to do is guess when Longo will be back! [RI Facebook]
- Check out this photo of the storm that rained out the Bowling Green Hot Rods last night. [BI Sports]
- James Shields said there’s “no truth” to the recent suggestion that Shields needs a change of scenery. [TampaBay.com]
- David Price had some second-thoughts about his plan to give Astro to a fan for the day. [BI Sports]
- All of a sudden, Luke Scott is red hot. [TBO.com]
- Joe Maddon just bought the house of former Bucs coach John McKay. I was young, but from what I remember, it seems like there were similarities in the personalities of the two. So this move seems fitting. [TampaBay.com]
- If you are in Kentucky tonight, you might want to check out the Bowling Green Hot Rods, who are giving away Matt Moore bobbleheads tonight. [BG Hot Rods]
- A closer look at the competition at running back for the Bucs. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Lehigh Valley 10, DURHAM 1. Alex Torres gave up 5 runs in just 3 innings. He struck out 2 and walked 3…CF Rich Thompson went 2-4 with 1 double…1B Henry Wrigley continues to rake in triple-A, with 2 more hits including a triple. He is now hitting .340. He is about 60 plate appearances shy of qualifying for the league lead, but if he was there, he would be leading the IL by a wide margin.
MONTGOMERY 6, Birmingham 2. Kyle Lobstein held Michael Jordan’s old club to just 1 run in 6 innings. He struck out 6 and walked 5…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 3-5 with 2 stolen bases. He now has 34 steals, second in the Southern League…
CHARLOTTE 2, Clearwater 1. Enny Romero struck out 5 and walked 5, but gave up just 1 run in 5 innings. His ERA is now 3.51…3B Robby Price went 2-4 with an RBI and his 4th stolen base…RF Mikie Mahtook went 3-3 with his 19th stolen base.
Kane County @ BOWLING GREEN. Suspended
HUDSON VALLEY 5, Aberdeen 4. Sean Bierman tossed 5 shutout innings for his 2nd win and LF Marty Gantt hit his 2nd home run.
PRINCETON @ Bluefield. postponed
This cameraman was excited about free pizza…