Indians 10, RAYS 6 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Hot Scott. Luke Scott may now be as hot as he was cold just a couple of weeks ago. He went 4-4 with a walk last night, his 4th multi-hit game in the last 7…Why Is Desmond Jennings Not Leading Off? BJ Upton and Carlos Pena batted 1-2 for the second straight night and combined to go 0-8 with a 1 walk. Meanwhile, Jennings was back in the 7th spot and went 3-4 with a walk and has 7 hits in his last 5 games.
THE BAD: The Bullpen. I hate putting the bullpen here because they have been so strong recently. And obviously the umpire didn’t help. But that doesn’t make it ok that 4 relievers gave up 9 hits in just 3 innings. There were still chances to shut the door on the Indians and they didn’t…Wasted Offense. The Rays became the first teams since 2009 to have 10 hits and 10 walks in a 9 inning game and still lose. This team is not going to hit very often, so it’s horrible that the Rays would blow a game like this when we know every game counts.
THE TELLING: Two days ago people were saying we shouldn’t be too down on the club because the Rays were still close in the Wild Card. And then yesterday those same people were yelling about how great it was that the Rays were tied for the second Wild Card spot. And now? The Rays are tied for FIFTH place for the second Wild Card. Yes, the Rays are close. But so are six other teams, and only one will get that final spot. And because of that, CoolStandings.com says the Rays have just a 17.4% shot at making the playoffs…Joe Maddon was ejected for the first time this season after being tossed 6 times in 2011.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Nothing shocking here, but Danny Knobler says the Rays are looking to trade for a young catcher and pitchers. [Twitter]
- Don’t forget, go over and LIKE our Facebook page and guess the date of Longo’s next game and you could win a $100 gift card. [RI FACEBOOK]
- There was a crazy rumor that the Red Sox and Marlins were discussing a deal that would send Carl Crawford to the Marlins. It sounds like the discussion never got very far. [MassLive.com]
- We’re not going to bore you with the details, but Major League Baseball added a new “competitive-balance” lottery in which the small market clubs and low-payroll clubs had a shot at gaining extra draft picks. And yet somehow, the Detroit Tigers got an extra pick in next year’s draft, and the Rays did not. [TampaBay.com]
- Gary Shelton writes about the fans’ frustrations with Derek Shelton. [TampaBay.com]
- Here are the 18 franchises that have tripled in value since 2000. [BI Sports]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
DURHAM 6, Lehigh Valley 4. Matt Torra gave up 4 runs in 4.2 innings with 1 strikeout…1B Leslie Anderson was 3-4 with a double and is hitting .317…Both Tim Beckham and Reid Brignac went hitless and are hitting .227 and .228, respectively…Sam Fuld played all 9 inning in right field going 2-5 with a double.
MONTGOMERY. no game scheduled
CHARLOTTE 3, Daytona 1. RF Mikie Mahtook went 1-3 and SS Derek Dietrich was 1-3 with a walk.
BOWLING GREEN 5, Kane County 0. Jake Floethe walked 3 and allowed 1 hit in 5 shutout innings. He struck out 1…1B Jeff Malm was 2-3 with his 11th home run and 2 RBI…RF Drew Vettleson was 2-4 with an RBI. He’s hitting .287.
Brooklyn 7, HUDSON VALLEY 3. 2B Thomas Coyle went 2-4 with his 2nd home run.
PRINCETON 6, Bluefield 5. 2B Reid Redman, hit his 2nd home run of the year, a 2-run shot.