Indians 3, RAYS 1 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: There’s Gotta Be Something. Let’s see. The offense? Nope. Well, the pitching and the defense must have been good, right? Um, nope. OK, well, at least the Rays always hustle, right? Yeah, not so much.
THE BAD: The Golden Sombrero Bad. The offense managed just 4 hits. In fact, the Rays 1-7 hitters went a combined 2-25. The pitchers gave up nearly as many home runs (3) as the Rays had hits. The defense committed another error. And Will Rhymes might have had an inside-the-park home run if he didn’t stand at the plate and admire his shot off the outfield wall. That’s not good for anybody. But it is definitely idiotic when you hit as many home runs as Rhymes. And that is to say, not very many.
THE TELLING: Luke Scott played first base, and was so surprised by the move that he did not have a first baseman’s mitt and had to borrow one from Jeff Keppinger…The Rays are now 7 games behind the Yankees and 1.5 games behind the Orioles in the Wild Card race.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Matt Joyce’s setback during his rehab appearance is apparently unrelated to the original injury. I am not sure that makes me feel any better, but ok. [TampaBay.com]
- Luke Scott’s hitless streak is now at 39 at bats, which is just 7 at bats shy of the MLB record set last year. Scott says the streak has caused him to lose sleep and even cry. [TBO.com]
- Johnny Damon talked before the game about facing the Rays. [TampaBay.com]
- Here’s a solid breakdown of how the minor league pitching prospects have performed so far. [Rays Prospects]
- Here are some of the hideous uniforms minor league teams wore on the 4th of July. [BI Sports]
- Have you had your Morning Cup of Joe? [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Norfolk 10, DURHAM 5. Alex Torres allowed 4 runs in 3 innings, striking out 2 and walking 2. Only 32 of his 62 pitches were strikes…2B Tim Beckham was 0-4 with a walk and SS Reid Brignac had a single in 4 at bats…RF Brandon Allen (3) and DH Henry Wrigley (15 combined in AA/AAA) homered for the Bulls.
Mobile 6, MONTGOMERY 5. Nick Barnese allowed 3 runs in 4.2 innings on 5 hits and 2 walks…SS Hak-Ju Lee was 1-5 to extend his hitting streak to 16 games…DH Ryan Garko was 3-5 and is hitting .340.
Fort Myers 8, CHARLOTTE 5. The Stone Crabs had 15 hits, but none were for extra-bases…DH Steven Tinoco went 4-5 to raise his average to .288…RF Cody Rogers also had 4 hits.
Fort Wayne 8, BOWLING GREEN 3. RF Drew Vettleson was 0-3 with a walk and 2 strikeouts…DH Jeff Malm walked twice…LF Josh Sale was 1-2 with a walk. He’s hitting .267.
HUDSON VALLEY 6, Vermont 0. DH Justin O’Connor hit his 2nd home run of the season, a 3-run shot.
Pulaski 5, PRINCETON 4. SS Brandon Martin and C Oscar Hernandez were each 1-4. Hernandez had a double and is hitting .313.