RAYS 4, Yankees 3 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: BJ Upton. Carlos Pena and Ben Zobrist are what they are. But if the Rays are going to score enough runs to win enough ballgames, they need Bossman to go on one of his extended hot streaks. And for the 96th time in his career, he homered last night. That started the scoring for the Rays. He also added a single…Brooks Conrad. He does it again. This time as a pinch-hitter, delivering the big 2-out game-tying double in the 7th…The Boys Are Back Together. Once the Rays took the lead in the bottom of the 7th, it was then up to Joel Peralta and Fernano Rodney and a classic 7+1+1. The Yankees then went 6-up, 6-down and the game was over.
THE BAD: Another Injury. OK, some of you won’t think this is bad, but Hideki Matsui was pulled from the game after experiencing tightness in his hamstring. Of course, the big problem, is, if he needs to go on the DL, who is the replacement? Rich Thompson, Chris Gimenez, and yes, Reid Brignac are on the 40-man roster and available (Stephen Vogt is on the DL)…Matsui’s Glove. I am one of the few people that doesn’t mind Matsui’s bat and think there are still some hits in it. But for the love of baseball gods, somebody needs to feed his glove to BJ Upton’s dog and be done with it. Please stop letting him take a dump on the Trop’s outfield grass.
THE TELLING: Hideki Matsui said after the game that he did not think his injury was enough for a stint on the DL. He thinks he will be out for a few days…Rays are now 6.5 games behind the Yankees, and just one-half game behind the Orioles.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Click the <Read More…> below for some GIFs from last night.
- We probably will not have a Hangover tomorrow. Everybody enjoy their Fourth of July.
- Jeremy Hellickson was still a little sore, but said his bullpen session was “just fine” and he expects to make his next start. Also, Matt Joyce could be back this weekend, and Sam Fuld will start a rehab assignment on Monday. [TampaBay.com]
- Jose Lobaton got married at home plate prior to the game. [The Heater]
- Here’s a great read by Sam Fuld on his childhood idol, Brett Butler. [The Hall of Very Good]
- The Rays have signed a young pitcher from Venezuela. [MLBTR]
- “Soriano’s shirt pull is not the Yankee way.” [Can't Stop The Bleeding]
- Another Bucs player is in legal trouble. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
DURHAM 3, Buffalo 2. Chris Archer made his scheduled start despite the injury concerns of Jeremy Hellickson and struck out 7 in 5 innings. He gave up 2 runs on 2 hits and 4 walks. He also hit a batter and threw a wild pitch…DH Leslie Anderson was 2-4 and is hitting .310…Rich Thompson, who could get called up if Hideki Matsui went on the DL, went 1-5 with his 16 steal.
Jackson 2, MONTGOMERY 1. Kyle Lobstein gave up 2 runs in 6 innings, striking out 4 and walking 4…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 1-4 and has 21 hits in his last 12 games…DH Ryan Garko went 0-4 to drop his average to .340.
Bradenton 6, CHARLOTTE 3. Albert Suarez gave up 3 runs (2 earned) in 6 innings. He struck out 2 and walked 1…LF Cody Rogers went 1-2 with an RBI and his 10th stolen base.
Dayton 3, BOWLING GREEN 2. Ryan Carpenter struck out 4 in 6 shutout innings. He gave up just 4 hits and no walks…RF Josh Sale was 1-3 with a walk…LF Jeff Malm went 2-4 with a double.
Brooklyn 7, HUDSON VALLEY 6 (11). DH Justin O’Connor had a double, a walk, and 3 strikeouts.
Elizabethton 13, PRINCETON 1. SS Brandon Martin went 0-3 with a strikeout.
Let’s all make fun of A-Rod and pretend like we have never done this…