RAYS 10, Indians 3 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Boom Sticks. Make no mistake, last night was about Luke Scott. But the Rays did score 8 other runs and the Rays scored 10 runs for just the 4th time this season and the first against a team not named the Marlins since April. In all, 5 different players had at least 2 hits…Luke Scott’s Mental Well-Being. The biggest concern with Scott’s 0-for-forever was that you could see how messed up he was mentally. Early in the game, Scott hit a long foul ball and covered his mouth with his hand and rolled his eyes as if to say “of course it went foul!” He was pressing like I have never seen a player press before. He was frustrated. He was panicking. And he assumed the worst with every at bat. Even when he hit his home run, he threw his head down out of frustration assuming it was an out. But when he rounded first base and saw the ball clear the wall, you could finally see the look of relief. Just like that, the monkey was gone. And he smiled. A lot…Latin Food. Fernando Rodney brought in some Latin food into the clubhouse prior to the game and told the team it would help them hit home runs or throw 100. Luke Scott says he was the first player to dig in.
THE BAD: Alex Cobb. He wasn’t terrible. But he wasn’t that good either, and nobody noticed because the Rays scored 10 runs. Of his 95 pitches, only 55 were strikes. He didn’t have his great changeup, getting just 4 swing-and-misses on 40 changeups thrown. And he got duped into a balk with a runner on third base.
THE TELLING: The Rays are 7 games behind the Yankees and 1.5 games behind the Orioles in the Wild Card.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Doesn’t sound like Matt Joyce will be back anytime soon. He is scheduled to see a doctor on Tuesday, which suggests the team is in no hurry to get him back…Also, Sam Fuld’s rehab assignment, which begins tonight, is expected to last 3 weeks. [TampaBay.com]
- The Rays have signed 12 of their top 13 picks and 45 of 50 overall. However, their top pick, Richie Shaffer, is still unsigned. The deadline to sign Shaffer is Friday. [RaysProspects]
- We told you about this signing a while ago, but now it’s official. Scott Kazmir is now a member of the Sugar Land Skeeters and will make his first start tomorrow. [Click2Houston]
- Joe Maddon sticks up for Derek Shelton. [TampaBay.com]
- Are the wide receiver jobs for the Bucs up for grabs? [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
DURHAM 4, Gwinnett 1. 1B Henry Wrigley went 3-4 with a double. He’s hitting .333…DH Leslie Anderson hit his 9th home run and walked twice…SS Reid Brignac went 0-4 and Tim Beckham did not play.
MONTGOMERY 9, Mobile 1. Alex Colome struck out 8, walked 1 and allowed just 1 solo home run in 8 innings…SS Hak-Ju Lee did extend his hitting streak to 17 games by going 1-5.
CHARLOTTE 5, Fort Myers 3. Mikie Mahtook returned to the lineup and went 2-4.
BOWLING GREEN 4, Fort Wayne 3. DH Cameron Seitzer was 2-4 and hit his 2nd home run.
Pulaski 6, PRINCETON 5. 3B Daryl George hit his first 2 home runs of the season, and drove in 4…C Oscar Hernandez added his 2nd.