RAYS 4, Tigers 2 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: First Star – Desmond Jennings. Justin Verlander had not given up 3 home runs in one game since last April, but thanks to Desmond Jennings going deep twice, the Rays did the trick last night. Jennings also added a great catch in foul territory (see GIF below)…Second Star – David Price. It was Price versus Verlander, and on this night, Price came out on top. And actually, that is not so unusual in these matchups. The Rays are now 10-1 in games in which Price goes head-to-head against a former Cy Young winner. His ERA in those games is now 2.24…Third Star – Ben Zobrist. Zorilla added the 3rd home run (his 10th) off over Verlander along with a single and his 7th stolen base. Don’t look now, but Zobrist is one of just seven players in the AL with at least 10 home runs and 7 stolen bases.
THE BAD: Another Injury. Price had to leave the game after a couple of warm up pitches in the 8th inning. The move appeared to be precautionary as the trainer almost immediately told Price he was done, and the extent of the treatment after being pulled was a heating pad in the dugout. Price did say after the game that he will make his next start.
THE TELLING: If you don’t live in Florida, this map will tell you if you can watch the Rays Turn Back the Clock game tonight and their 1979 unis…Sean Rodriguez has not started since Wednesday…Sam Fuld took batting practice prior to the game and is hoping to start a rehab assignment before the break…The Rays have ordered 10,000 more Zim Bears to be given away at a future game…The Rays are now 41-36, tied with Boston, 5.5 games behind the Yankees and 1.5 games behind the Orioles.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- As expected, the Rays did activate Jeremy Hellickson, Kyle Farnsworth, and Joel Peralta after the game and sent Cesar Ramos and Brandon Gomes to triple-A Durham.
- Evan Longoria said before the game that his latest injury was “not back to square one by any means,” and that he has accelerated his workouts in recent days, but has yet to resume baseball activities. I would still love to hear somebody say, ‘no, Longoria did not re-tear his hamstring.’ [TampaBay.com Video]
- The Rays are not interested in Jim Thome, which of course makes sense since the Rays have already cornered the market on old left-handed DHs. [@Buster_ESPN]
- On the other hand, Alfonso Soriano could be a fit as a right-handed DH, and the Cubs are looking to trade him and eat a lot of his contract. [CBSSports.com]
- Zim Bears are going for as much as $40 on eBay. [eBay.com]
- Raheem Morris talks about joining the Redskins. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Good job not interfering with the ball, but by all means, CATCH THE PLAYER! Look at how many men get the ‘Oh Shit!’ face and duck for cover…