RAYS 7, Yankees 3 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: David Price vs Alex Rodriguez. Price only worked 5 innings. But part of that was due to an incredible 11-pitch at bat in the 5th inning with the bases loaded, one out, and A-Rod representing the tying run. Price’s gameplan against A-Rod was not fastball. Rather, he fed Rodriguez 7 curveballs in the at bat, including 3 swinging strikes. It was as intense of an at bat as you will ever see in June, and King David finally slayed Goliath with his mighty curveball…David Price vs Robinson Cano. Price wasn’t done after A-Rod. He still had to get past Cano to survive the 5th inning. But unlike A-Rod, Cano got the fastball treatment. Six straight fastballs, with Cano fouling off 4 in a row. The final pitch of the at bat, and for Price in the game, was a 98 mph fastball that turned into a weak groundball to end the inning…Drew Sutton. The guy we sometimes confuse for Elliot Johnson delivered the big blow offensively, with a 2-run double in the 4th inning to make the game 5-1 and give the Rays some breathing room.
THE BAD: Carlos Pena. Last night it was 0-4 with 3 strikeouts. And in his last 11 games, he is 3-34 with 12 strikeouts. That, that’s not good.
THE TELLING: David Price now has a 3.05 career ERA against the AL East…The Rays are once again tied with the Orioles for first place in the AL East, a half-game ahead of the Yankees.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- We’ve got some GIFy goodness at the end of this post. Click the below.
- David Price talks about getting out of the 5th inning. [TampaBay.com]
- Why are we linking to a post discussing an anti-Obamacare campaign? Because amazingly, a Rays minor league pitcher makes an unfortunate appearance thanks to a troll. Look at the seventh screengrab down. [BuzzFeed]
- Ben Zobrist is struggling with his mechanics at the plate. But the quotes sound more like he is overthinking it. [TampaBay.com]
- Three members of the Montgomery Biscuits were named to the SL All-Star team. [RaysProspects]
- Are the Bucs a playoff contender? [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Scranton/WB 6, DURHAM 2. Jim Paduch gave up 5 runs in 6 innings on 9 hits and 2 walks…SS Reid Brignac went 1-4, ending an 0-24 skid…CF Rich Thompson went 2-5.
MONTGOMERY 1, Chattanooga 0. Kyle Lobstein struck out 5 and walked 2 in 6 shutout innings. He allowed 5 hits…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 2-4 and is hitting .242. He also committed his 13th error.
CHARLOTTE @ Lakeland. (postponed)
Lansing 5, BOWLING GREEN 4 (11). LF Josh Sale went 0-4 with a walk…CF Drew Vettleson was 1-4 with a walk…2B Ryan Brett had a single and a walk, and added his 16th stolen base.
It is nice to see the Three Amigos back together, but why are they playing Rock-Paper-Scissors after the game? No matter what the answer, it is awesome…