RAYS 3, Marlins 0 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Alex Cobb. Serious question: Does Jeff Niemann automatically re-enter the rotation when he comes back from the DL? Is Niemann really a better option than Cobb at this point? Or is Niemann, along with Kyle Farnsworth, one of two big bullpen additions this team makes in the second half? In the meantime, hello Alex Cobb. 7 shutout innings, a career-high 10 Ks and just 2 hits and 1 walk. And the second hit didn’t come until the 7th inning when somebody apparently jinxed his 1-hitter…Carlos Pena. ‘Los went 2-3 and is now one hit from reaching .200 (he is now hitting .199)…Zorilla. Ben Zobrist had 2 hits and now has multi-hit games in 6 of the last 7 games. Umm, yeah, Zo is hot and getting hotter.
THE BAD: No Offense. The Rays are still just 12th (out of 14) in the AL with a .701 OPS. And that is despite leading the AL with 244 walks. They are also middle of the road (7th) with 67 home runs. But they only have 94 doubles (12th).
THE TELLING: Brandon Gomes was sent back to Durham after the game. No corresponding move has been made yet. Supposedly, it won’t be Evan Longoria or Jeff Keppinger. But we imagine Longo is pleading his case…Sam Fuld is hoping to start a rehab assignment in July…The Rays are now 3.5 back in the AL East and 2 behind the Orioles.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Ben Zobrist says Derek Shelton and Drew Sutton are to thank for his recent hot streak. [TampaBay.com]
- Here’s a cool shot of Evan Longoria during his first rehab game in Durham. [Facebook]
- One reason the Orioles are in the playoff hunt? Former Rays pitcher Jason Hammel. [ESPN.com]
- BJ Upton was a clue in the Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle. [@jclaireb]
- And here’s David Price sporting his “Kimbo” shirt prior to Sunday’s game. [@RaysGameDay]
- Prospect Chris Archer talks about his motivations to reach the big leagues.[NewsObserver.com]
- Finally, some good news on the Bucs. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Lehigh Valley 2, DURHAM 1. Lance Pendleton only allowed 1 run in 5 innings despite walking 5 batters and hitting a sixth…After going 1-4 on Saturday, Evan Longoria did not play last night…LF Leslie Anderson was 1-4 and SS Reid Brignac went 0-3 with a walk and a strikeout.
Huntsville 3, MONTGOMERY 1. Matt Buschmann struck out 10 in just 5 innings, giving up 3 runs on 8 hits and 1 walk. His ERA is now 3.77…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 2-5 and is hitting .243. He also stole his 22nd base.
CHARLOTTE. no game scheduled
BOWLING GREEN 9, Fort Wayne 3. LF Josh Sale went 1-4 with a 3-run triple…1B Cameron Seitzer added hits, including 2 doubles…RF Drew Vettleson went 2-5.