RAYS 8, Orioles 4 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Matt Moore. It’s an old story, but it is an important one. Moore still can’t keep his fastball down in the zone as only 27 of Moore’s 66 fastballs were below the mid-point of the strikezone. Now, don’t get us wrong. A fastball up in the zone can be a very good pitch. But for most pitchers, they are like changeups. A fastball up is most effective as a “change of pace.” Only in this case it is a change of view. That being said, Moore pitched well enough, giving up just 2 runs (1 earned) despite allowing 7 hits and 3 walks in 6 innings. The 8 runs of support didn’t hurt…BJ Upton. After Moore gave back a 2-0 lead, the Rays loaded the bases with 2 outs. Considering the Rays struggle in these situations with less than 2 outs, it didn’t look good for the good guys. But then BJ Upton ripped a double down the third base line making it 4-2, and the Rays never looked back…Making the Most of the O. The Orioles had twice as many hits (12) as the Rays (6). And yet, it was the Rays that scored twice as many runs (8) as the O’s (4). Strange as this might sound, that is actually the 8th time this season the Rays have won a game in which they were outhit.
THE BAD: Defense. The Rays are second in the American League with 46 errors. But if there is a silver lining, it is that only 21 of those errors have been committed by position players that would be considered starters playing one of their regular positions. The rest still count. But this is a sign that the defense is going to get better once players start returning from the DL. We are looking at you Desmond Jennings and Evan Longoria.
THE TELLING: The Rays are 31-23, 1 game ahead of the Orioles in the AL East. The Yankees are 1.5 back and the Red Sox and Jays are 3 games back. The Rays are 4-0-1 in their last 5 series against the AL East…The Rays are expected to stay on rotation with James Shields, Alex Cobb, and David Price throwing in the Yankees series.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Our friends over at JoeBucsFan.com will be filling in today on 1010 Sports from noon to 3pm.
- Several members of the Rays organization attended the memorial service for the son of Marc Topkin. [TampaBay.com]
- Desmond Jennings could be back with the Rays on Tuesday. [TampaBay.com]
- The Rays have just one pick today in first round of the amateur draft (#25 overall) but Andrew Friedman sounds more concerned about how the new bonus rules will affect the Rays in the later rounds. [TampaBay.com]
- RJ Harrison thinks more high school players are going to choose to go to college. [TBO.com]
- Here is a shot of Joe Maddon and Greg Schiano meeting before the game on Friday. Schiano tossed out the first pitch. [@JB_Long]
- The Tampa Bay Rays are now on Pinterest. [Pinterest]
- Hawk Harrelson called up Mark Wegner to apologize for his outburst last week. [MLB.com]
- Is Mark Dominik on the hot seat? [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Louisville 7, DURHAM 0. Chris Archer had another rough outing giving up 5 runs in 5 innings on 6 hits and 2 walks. He did strike out 7. His ERA is now 5.09…RF Leslie Anderson was 1-4 and is hitting .314…Reid Brignac did not play…LF Desmond Jennings went 0-4 in what could be his final rehab game.
MONTGOMERY 3, Tennessee 2. Joe Cruz struck out 4 and walked 2 in 5.1 innings, giving up 4 hits and 2 runs…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 0-4 and is hitting .234…2b Tyler Bortnick was 1-3 with his 3rd home run and 3B Greg Sexton added his 2nd home run.
Dunedin 11, CHARLOTTE 1. SS Derek Dietrich hit his 6th home run…LF Brandon Allen went 1-3 with a walk…RF Mikie Mahtook was 0-3 with 2 strikeouts.
Dayton 5, BOWLING GREEN 4. RF Drew Vettleson went 0-4 with a walk. He’s hitting .277…1B Jeff Malm had a double in 5 at bats…LF Josh Sale had a double, 2 walks and stole his 4th base…CF Todd Glaesmann had 2 hits including his 7th home run. He also stole 2 bases, his 3rd and 4th.