Yankees 7, RAYS 0 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Savior of the Universe. Flash! ahhhh. Savior of the Universe! Flash! Ahhhh. He’ll save every one of us! Right? Well, it was at least good to see Desmond Jennings back in the lineup…Cesar Ramos. Ramos came in and gave the Rays 3 innings of relief sparing the rest of the bullpen on a night when some arms could have been wasted.
THE BAD: Defense and Starting Pitching. Wait. What? These are supposed to be the Rays’ strengths, right? Well, three more errors, and just an awful night for James Shields equals an ugly, ugly 7-0 loss. Then again, how are the defense and starting pitching supposed to win ball games if the offense can’t score a single god damned run?…Where’s Sweet Swingin’? This is the problem that Joe Maddon has right now. With Desmond Jennings back, that leaves Luke Scott, Hideki Matsui, and Matt Joyce for DH and right field. And last night it was Joyce left without a chair when Maddon’s music stopped. And this also proves that not everything Maddon does is based on numbers. He basically put Matsui in right field batting cleanup on the hope that he would have a big night in his return to the Bronx. He went 0-4.
THE TELLING:Desmond Jennings was activated prior to the game and Rich Thompson was optioned to triple-A Durham…The Rays are once again tied with the Orioles for first place in the East.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Be sure to check out a couple of GIFs from last night’s game at the end of this post.
- The Rays went heavy with speed in the draft. [TampaBay.com]
- Here’s a full list of the players drafted by the Rays so far and the expected signing bonus for each. [RaysProspects]
- The Cubs may trade Matt Garza and the Yankees are one possibility. [MLBTR] So are the Blue Jays. [@Buster_ESPN]
- A Q&A with Dave Martinez. [Fangraphs]
- No. 8 in a power rankings? Seems a little low, but whatever. But then we noticed that the Red Sox are no. 7. Huh? [SI.com]
- Hideki Matsui explains why he picked no. 35 for his jersey. [TampaBay.com]
- The New York Times recalls Elliot Johnson’s slide during the 2008 Spring Training that sent a strong message to the rest of the AL East that the Rays had arrived. [NY Times]
- Rafael Soriano is still doing the untucked jersey routine after saves and some Yankees fans are not too thrilled about it. [NYYFans.com]
- Where the Rays rank on the all-time no-hitters list. [BI Sports]
- The Durham Bulls are slowly working their way back to .500. [WDBB]
- JoeBucsFan.com spoke with EJ Biggers. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Scranton/WB 12, DURHAM 8. Jhonny Nunez gave up 4 runs in just 2 innings on 4 hits and 3 walks…Alex Torres allowed 2 runs in 2.2 innings of relief. He did strike out 5 and walked 2…LF Leslie Anderson continues to hit well going 2-4 with a double and his 7th home run…1B Henry Wrigley had 4 hits including a double and his 4th home run. He is hitting .274 in 23 games since being promoted. He also has 11 home runs combined between AA and AAA this season…C Chris Gimenez was 3-4 with a double…2B Reid Brignac was 0-3 and is hitting .162.
Tennessee 12, MONTGOMERY 3. SS Hak-Ju Lee went 2-5 with his 2nd home run. However, he also committed his 12th error…LF Brad Coon had a single and his 12th stolen base…CF Ty Morrison went 2-5 with a double.
CHARLOTTE @ Lakeland. postponed
BOWLING GREEN. no game scheduled
Well, this pretty much sums up this game…