This post, which will appear before every game, will include starting lineups (when we learn them) and during the game will include a Game Graph that will constantly update the percent chance the Rays have of winning this particular game.

Game Graph

[Will be up at game time]

Source: FanGraphs

Playing A Little Pepper

Has Fernando Rodney been even better than Rafael Soriano was in 2010?

On the surface, Rodney’s numbers are more impressive. Of course, we need to see him do it all season long as Soriano only blew 3 saves that season. But consider this: In 2010, Soriano inherited just 11 runners all season long. He was almost exclusively brought into the game to start the 9th inning with no runners on base. On the other hand, Rodney has already inherited 12 base runners and we still have 102 games to go. This tells us that Joe Maddon has more faith in Rodney in high-leverage situations…JOE MADDON THINKS SO

Lineup…

1. Flash Jennings, LF
  2. Carlos Pena, 1B
  3. BJ Upton, CF
  4. Matt Joyce, RF
  5. Ben Zobrist, 2B
  6. Hideki Matsui, DH
  7. Jose Molina, C
  8. Elliot Johnson, SS
  9. Sean Rodriguez, 3B
  10. Alex Cobb, SP

Song to get you pumped up

I don’t recall if I have ever brought this up, but some of you may know that my name is real (I get asked that a lot). I was named after County Cork in Ireland. So you can probably guess there is quite a bit of Irish blood running through my veins (WARNING: video contains potty language)…

Tags

1. Michael says:

also Raphael threw tantrums when put into non-save situations

that may have been a factor

but Rodney I believe is superior in most ways

Soriano is a vicious talent (or at least he was when he was playing for a contract)

but Rodney has better stuff for a closer roll... where hitters are under pressure to make a big hit... that changeup is devastating to them

2. Michael says:

one area where Soriano was better was walk-up music

I still get chills remembering that song play on the loudspeakers as he threw his warmup pitches

I have no idea what the heck Rodney walks up to, it's not very catchy or memorable

• Beth says:

You know, I always spent a lot of time listening for the walk up choices of batters and relievers, assuming that that players choose these selections. I even saw a funny video featuring Curtis Granderson as he tried to decide what he would choose. And of course Ben Zobrist plays his wife's music.

But then I saw Elliott Johnson claim (maybe on twitter?) when asked about his walk up music (which is "Foxy Lady"), that he had no idea who chose his song.

So what's the deal? Do players make these choices? Maybe only the regular starters get to choose and the Elliott Johnsons are stuck with whatever the public address people feel like putting on?

• Jim says:

I believe players have the choice but many don't care and let the sound guy pick it out. My guess is that is what Johnson did. My favorite choice was Zito's when he was with Oakland. He chose Incubus' Megalomaniac right at the 37 second mark

3. Joe says:

One factor to consider is that Benoit was pretty flawless as a setup guy so there weren't a ton of inherited runner situations that year.

4. doug says:

Interesting that Scott continues to sit..What don't we know here?

5. angry buddha says:

Sure, sure, we all like what they did on the field and we can argue those points with numbers, etc. But I'm having a helluva time figuring out which post-save celebration I liked more: The Violent Untuck vs. Shoot the Moon

Both had teammates join in, both made no sense, and both are awesome because they happened at the moment the Rays locked down a win. So which one's better?

6. JR says:

I prefer Scott over Matsui....

7. Rob says:

I know Rodney has been money, but if Farnsworth is coming back soon, Rodney's trade value is at an all-time high and teams are looking for closers. Just a thought.

• Rob says:

And with the way they are playing lately, they won't have many save situations to worry about anyway.