Finally! It is the overhead shot of Fernando Rodney as he is “Shooting the Moon.” And not only that, but the Sun Sports camera is in such good position that it is as if Honey Badger is shooting the camera.

Unfortunately we can’t catch every post-game show, which is unfortunate because we are becoming huge fans of Orestes Destrade. So it is possible this shot has been shown before. But it is new to us. And it is awesome.

1. Beth says:

Just curious – what about Destrade do you like so much? I don’t find him all that enlightening.

• angrybuddha says:

I like him. He’s enthusiastic, excited, and knows baseball. He may or may not be nuanced or polished like Kalas, but put those guys together and you have a great team… and they either (a) clearly love the Rays; or (b) fake it really well for the cameras.

• Cork Gaines says:

I guess the big thing for me is that he seems genuinely excited about breaking down a game. And when does talk about something that maybe only a former player might know, he doesn’t use too much baseball lingo or jargon. For some former players-turned-analysts i think they try to hard to sound like they are still a player or they are trying too hard to show us how smart they are (by the way, that is a common problem with a lot of “teachers”).

2. Rob says:

I like the “shooting the moon” act, but does anyone else have any concerns that the more “scripted” this begins to feel the more it seems like the Rays are showing up the other team?

• Cork Gaines says:

That’s always a fear, but typically it is not done during the game which I think is less “showing up” (although Rodney did do it once on his way back to the dugout after he came into a tie game. That was a bit risky). There are closers out there that are much more dramatic after saves than Rodney, even if they are less scripted.

• Beth says:

I still think Soriano’s pulling his shirt out was my favorite end of game move. It was spontaneous (even though of course later all the players started doing it) and subtle enough not to seem like you were showing up the opposition. And he explained it so logically — it symbolized getting your work done successfully, just like you might pull out your shirt or loosen your tie after a day at the office.

I do worry that the more dramatic on field victory celebrations just make your opponents resentful.

3. Michael says:

I like O

At first I was like “what is this guy doing here”, but then I realized why

When it comes to analysts, there are two archetypes

The witty analytical types… your Chris Collinsworths and Brian Andersons

The effusive caffeine/cocaine/bratwurst fueled types… Orestas, Jon Gruden, John Madden, etc

Big O is clearly a Gruden. It’s OK to be a Gruden. They can be fun and entertaining (he is), especially when he breaks out his Japanese.

The worst thing is to be neither type, or a muddling of both. TV runs on archetypes.

• Beth says:

I do like the image of analysts fueled by caffeine (let’s hope not cocaine) and bratwurst.

But that may explain why O isn’t my cup of tea (or perhaps, given your analysis, my can of Red Bull).

4. Dave L says:

I like Orestes, and his enthusiasm. He is always going back and forth calling the Rays ‘we’ and combines the knowledge of a former player with the unbridled enthusiasm of a fan.

That first pregame when Matsui came was very informative sharing his experiences in Japan and explaining the magnitude of Hideki as a star in Japan.

Anybody have experience with him in the Spanish broadcast? I am just curious how he is there.

5. Andy says:

I’ve been enjoying O as well!! As has been said, his knowledge of Japanese language, culture & baseball there has been very insightful since Matsui has joined the Rays. One thing that really stood out is how he compared the Trop’s dome to the 1 in Tokyo where Matsui’s former team played. Very few broadcaster could have made that comparison, so good to have O on our team!! :D