Joe is back with his post-game thoughts…

Joe’s not wont to polish a turd. Losses are ugly, painful, depressing. Wins are exhilarating and why you play the game.

Given that, Joe cannot get bent about the Rays losing 9-6 today. Hellboy gave up a career-high number of hits today and a career-high number of runs. That’s not going to happen often.

Throw in the fact the Rays are not built to win when they don’t get decent pitching, when their pitchers are shelled, but still the Rays battled back. Sure they squandered opportunities and the final out of the game, a questionable Zorilla strikeout (if Zorilla swung and missed on the third strike, then how in the world was the check swing on a previous pitch not a strike?) may have stopped the Rays from tying the game or taking a lead in the ninth

No, Joe can’t get too hacked off at this loss. The Rays battled back despite Hellboy’s worst start.

It’s a hopeful sign amid a sweep.

Damn, those bristles sting.

1. Joe says:

The silver lining is Evan and Keppinger are both headed to Durham tomorrow.

2. Rob says:

Squeak, squeak.

3. Rob says:

I can’t stomach any more of this – I regret purchasing a season ticket package again this year. If this were a movie I would walk out and demand my money back for selling me a crappy product.

• Joe says:

Why is it that the Rays always give off the same vibe? When they were playing the Marlins, it looked like they weren’t going to lose again for a while and then the Mets pummeled them and I have zero confidence in the upcoming games especially when we will see Josh Johnson, Strasburgh, Gio Gonzalez, Hamels, Lee and god knows who else. This is the team that couldn’t get it going against Mr. 85 MPH Chris Young…

Friedman says as soon as his signees: Pena .190,Scott.220,Molina .180 and Matsuie .150 get “Hot” they will be just fine..can’t wait…..

5. Dave L says:

Its a marathon not a sprint, people.

162 game season.

Relax

• Joe says:

All I know is if we’re 9.5 back in September, it is impossible to come back.

We are without our best player for almost 2 months and 2.5 out of 1st, guys.

• Rob says:

Agreed, but that best player wouldn’t have been able to prevent a light hitting team like the Mets from scoring 29 runs in 3 days. That has me more concerned than anything else at the moment.

• Joe says:

Best ERA in the AL coming into the series but they all seemed to have the same issue, they thought it was over once they got 2 outs and that’s when they got crushed. I will say that Hellickson concerns me, he always seems to be flirting with danger and this time he couldn’t escape it. Mets weren’t even letting him walk them.