RAYS 4, Blue Jays 3 (boxscore)

THE GOOD: David Price. The Rays needed 7 innings from Price and he delivered, giving up 3 runs on 6 hits. More importantly, he had the plus-slider and didn’t walk a batter, striking out 6…The Bullpen. There weren’t a lot of arms out there last night, but two that were, Joel Peralta and Fernando Rodney, came in and retired all 6 of the batters they face (with a little help from the umpire, see below)…Sean Rodriguez. Dude is just dialed in right now, both offensively and defensively, and we can’t ever remember him playing this well. His home run in the 7th started the rally. And he just missed another long home run, pulling it foul.

THE BAD: Not Trading Big Dub. Hey, if Alex Cobb or Chris Archer are the better choice to be a starting pitcher right now that’s cool. But you don’t pick a starting pitcher based on who will be better at pitching 2 innings out of the bullpen. And if Davis really is just the eighth best starting pitcher in the organization right now (maybe he is), then what was the point of keeping him for starting pitching depth? Is he a good reliever? Yes. But you could have traded him this winter for a heck of a lot more than one good reliever. And right now, that’s all the Rays got for a guy that has already proved he can be an affective 4th or 5th starter in the big leagues.

THE TELLING: Hideki Matsui went 0-4 in his debut with triple-A Durham…Jeff Niemann did officially go on the DL and was replaced by Josh Lueke to help the bullpen…Rays trainer Ron Porterfield called the Toronto Raptors to find a pair of crutches big enough for Jeff Niemann…The Rays have now won 3 in a row and are still tied for first place at 23-14, 2.5 games ahead of the Yankees.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Here’s video of Brett Lawrie losing his god damned mind in the 9th inning and hitting the umpire with his helmet. [BI Sports]
  • And if you want to see what happened to the umpire after the game, click the <Read More…> below.
  • The Yankees have put another closer on the DL. Now it is Rafael Soriano’s turn. [NEWSDAY]
  • Manny Ramirez will be called up by the Oakland A’s at the end of this month. [SFGate]
  • Home runs are at their lowest rate in 20 years in the NL. But in the AL they are on the rise and for the first time since before the steroid era, the AL is the hitter’s league. [BI Sports]
  • One prospect may have saved his career with a simple mechanical change. [Montgomery Advertiser]
  • Hey look, it is the new, slimmer Josh Freeman. [JoeBucsFan]

DOWN ON THE FARM

Pawtucket 8, DURHAM 2. Hideki Matsui was the DH and went 0-4 with a strikeout. He did hit one ball to the fence that was caught…3B Matt Mangini hit his 3rd home run, and LF Leslie Anderson added his 2nd.

Jacksonville 5, MONTGOMERY 4. Kyle Lobstein struck out 6 and allowed just 1 run (a solo home run) in 6 innings…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 1-4 and stole his 10th base…2B Tyler Bortnick hit his first home run of the year.

CHARLOTTE 3, Fort Myers 2. CF Mikie Mahtook went 1-4 with a double…SS Derek Dietrich also doubled, going 1-4.

BOWLING GREEN 5, South Bend 4. Both Josh Sale and Drew Vettleson hit home runs. It was the third of the season for both.

Somebody spent last night in jail…

Tags

1. don says:

When S rod first came to the Rays from LA I called him A.rod jr.
    after 12 hrs in spring training, then he turned into a .200 hitter.. Maybe..hes made the big time.. a .270-280 hitter he is an allstar SS...
    W. DAvis is saying all the Corporate right things...but I know what I would do if Maddon came to me and told me I lost my starting job to a 1-4 minor league pitcher...we will see what he could cost the Rays....

2. Sledge says:

Cork:

I agree with your generic point on "we could have gotten more than one middle reliever for Big Dub." However, I have faith in the organization and I suspect that they believe he could become a closer in a few years. So in my mind, they said to themselves "we'd rather try and be wrong that we've found our closer of the future than get 2 middle relievers that will be gone in a year or two." Curious for your thoughts.

3. don says:

The drunk throwing the beer threw a "ball", I would have thrown a "strike" right in the face...If I was going to get thrown out probably for life make it count you bad pitcher

4. Connie says:

Where do you find out this info? i.e. where they found big enough crutches. Love this insider info though!

• Cork Gaines says:

I think I recall TK mentioning it last night in the pre-game. But Marc Topkin had it in one of his stories today also. Click on the "Called the Toronto Raptors." that will take you to it.

• DRR says:

Not to disparage Cork here at all, but I think it is a stretch to call something in the newspaper as getting "insider info".

Cork does a great job of collecting all of the worthwhile stuff, though, and sorting through the rest.

• Beth says:

It was reported in the Tampa Bay Times this morning! And the really funny part of the story to me was this: before they found the crutches, Neimann was forced to use a wheelchair, and for some reason the person designated to push his wheelchair was Rhymes, who must weigh all of 130 pounds. I was wondering why the smallest player got stuck pushing the wheelchair of the largest player.

• Cork Gaines says:

I dont know if I would necessarily call it "insider," but we do get a good amount of info directly from the Rays.

5. Dave L says:

I was wondering what all the hoopla was in the background right after the game ended. Something was happening we could see on TV but the sunrays didnt elaborate.

That ump got alot of harmless but disturbing contact, first a glancing helmut then a glancing plastic half full cup of warm canadian beer.

Those werent the cheap seats so whoever give that knucklehead his season tix for that night could be in trouble.

They threaten that at least but I doubt they ever go after the owner of the seats as they claim.

6. CA says:

I like the move of keeping Davis in the pen. I think it shows more respect to him (and his role) versus moving him back into the rotation. Keeping Davis in the pen will allow him to continue in the role he was asked to play and will be in the best interests of the team through October (hopefully). Additionally, the Rays would most likely go with a 4 man rotation in the playoffs of which Davis would not be included. However, he will be critical in the playoffs coming out of the pen. Using Cobb or Archer will allow them to get more big league experience and minimize the shuffling around of the pitchers.

• Beth says:

I'm with you -- Davis himself was quoted as saying he would need several starts to get "stretched out" again.

And as for why they didn't trade Davis -- Cork, you say with such certainty that they could have gotten a lot more for him than a good reliever. But how do you know? I've not doubt that they were shopping him, and I would assume that an offer for more than a good reliever would have been seriously considered.

• Tom says:

I agree, Davis is also pitching much better as a reliever than he did as a starter so perhaps the role suits him.