RAYS 4, Blue Jays 3 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: David Price. The Rays needed 7 innings from Price and he delivered, giving up 3 runs on 6 hits. More importantly, he had the plus-slider and didn’t walk a batter, striking out 6…The Bullpen. There weren’t a lot of arms out there last night, but two that were, Joel Peralta and Fernando Rodney, came in and retired all 6 of the batters they face (with a little help from the umpire, see below)…Sean Rodriguez. Dude is just dialed in right now, both offensively and defensively, and we can’t ever remember him playing this well. His home run in the 7th started the rally. And he just missed another long home run, pulling it foul.
THE BAD: Not Trading Big Dub. Hey, if Alex Cobb or Chris Archer are the better choice to be a starting pitcher right now that’s cool. But you don’t pick a starting pitcher based on who will be better at pitching 2 innings out of the bullpen. And if Davis really is just the eighth best starting pitcher in the organization right now (maybe he is), then what was the point of keeping him for starting pitching depth? Is he a good reliever? Yes. But you could have traded him this winter for a heck of a lot more than one good reliever. And right now, that’s all the Rays got for a guy that has already proved he can be an affective 4th or 5th starter in the big leagues.
THE TELLING: Hideki Matsui went 0-4 in his debut with triple-A Durham…Jeff Niemann did officially go on the DL and was replaced by Josh Lueke to help the bullpen…Rays trainer Ron Porterfield called the Toronto Raptors to find a pair of crutches big enough for Jeff Niemann…The Rays have now won 3 in a row and are still tied for first place at 23-14, 2.5 games ahead of the Yankees.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Here’s video of Brett Lawrie losing his god damned mind in the 9th inning and hitting the umpire with his helmet. [BI Sports]
- And if you want to see what happened to the umpire after the game, click the <Read More…> below.
- The Yankees have put another closer on the DL. Now it is Rafael Soriano’s turn. [NEWSDAY]
- Manny Ramirez will be called up by the Oakland A’s at the end of this month. [SFGate]
- Home runs are at their lowest rate in 20 years in the NL. But in the AL they are on the rise and for the first time since before the steroid era, the AL is the hitter’s league. [BI Sports]
- One prospect may have saved his career with a simple mechanical change. [Montgomery Advertiser]
- Hey look, it is the new, slimmer Josh Freeman. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Pawtucket 8, DURHAM 2. Hideki Matsui was the DH and went 0-4 with a strikeout. He did hit one ball to the fence that was caught…3B Matt Mangini hit his 3rd home run, and LF Leslie Anderson added his 2nd.
Jacksonville 5, MONTGOMERY 4. Kyle Lobstein struck out 6 and allowed just 1 run (a solo home run) in 6 innings…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 1-4 and stole his 10th base…2B Tyler Bortnick hit his first home run of the year.
CHARLOTTE 3, Fort Myers 2. CF Mikie Mahtook went 1-4 with a double…SS Derek Dietrich also doubled, going 1-4.
BOWLING GREEN 5, South Bend 4. Both Josh Sale and Drew Vettleson hit home runs. It was the third of the season for both.
Somebody spent last night in jail…