Yankees 5, RAYS 3 (boxscore)

THE GOOD: Sean Rodriguez. Rodriguez now has an 8-game hitting streak after picking up 2 more hits last night. He has 10 hits in the last 10 games after getting just 11 hits in the first 20 games of the year…Elliot Johnson. EJ was on base 3 times with 2 singles and a walk.

THE BAD: David Price. Price, Price, Baby only goes here because we went on the radio yesterday and told the world that we thought he was going to be huge last night. He wasn’t. But when we go back and look at the data we don’t see anything bad. He had a good mix of pitches. He was hitting 97 with the fastball. He had (for the most part) good location on his cutter and slider. He just ran in to a team that has the ability to take advantage of the “one bad pitch”…Will Rhymes. It is amazing just how bad the Rays have been at bunting early in the season. But what is really strange is just how often the Rays are bunting this season. The Rays’ 7 sac bunts is third in the AL. And of course, that doesn’t include the half-dozen or so failed bunts. The Rays had just 37 sac bunts in 2011, 39 in 2010, 25 in 2009, and 23 in 2008.

THE TELLING: Jeff Keppinger returned, and yet Brandon Guyer was in the lineup. That’s because Brandon Allen has an “injury,” and was placed on the DL to make room…The Rays and Orioles are tied atop the Al East at 20-12…

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Brandon Allen talks about the injury that may have kept the Rays from having to put him on waivers. [TampaBay.com]
  • That Red Sox sellout streak? Um, yeah, it only exists because the Sox are giving away free tickets. [BI Sports]
  • The Red Sox are in trouble. [BI Sports]
  • Time Magazine ripped The Trop. And like many that rip The Trop, it was clear the author had never been there. [TampaBay.com]
  • The Bucs suffered a big blow yesterday. [JoeBucsFan]

DOWN ON THE FARM

Syracuse 5, DURHAM 1. Matt Torra pitched 7 innings and allowed 5 runs on 6 hits and 1 walk. Three of the hits were home runs…1B Leslie Anderson had 3 more hits to raise his average to .352…SS Reid Brignac went 0-3 and is hitting .148…C Stephen Vogt was 0-4 with 2 strikeouts and is hitting .177.

Chattanooga 11, MONTGOMERY 1. Joe Cruz gave up 5 runs in 4 innings, striking out 2 and walking 4…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 0-3 with a walk and 3 strikeouts. He did steal his 7th base…2B Tyler Bortnick also went 0-3 with a walk and stole a base, his 10th.

CHARLOTTE 8, Daytona 3. Albert Suarez allowed just 1 run on 6 hits and no walks in 6 innings. He struck out 3…3B Riccio Torrez hit his 4th home run.

Lansing 13, BOWLING GREEN 5. Ryan Carpenter gave up 9 runs on 14 hits in just 2.2 innings…LF Josh Sale hit his first home run of the season.

Tags

1. don says:

My suggestion to Maddon BEFORE he tries bunting strategies make sure the player CAN bunt…Do you think he knows anything about Rhymes and his bunting ability…Maddon said “he thought he could”
    Price gets too upset….mistakes follow..did you see his face after his famous cut off and throw to 2nd..he was toast…

2. don says:

Reapeating ignorant blog sites:
    If I wrote ” the Empire state building is a Dump” and expressed my personal/wrong reason why it is…Do you think the NY times would ReWrite my blog comments on the front page of one of their sections???
    I rest my case local (Times) media…

3. Dave L says:

I agree. I would say price pitched CC to a draw. Problem is tie goes to the Yanks, with their bats against LHP, compared to ours, we have to clearly out-pitch or clearly outhit them to win.

No Jet stream HR to right and we lose.

When you go virtually all right bats against CC you take the jet stream away.

My hope and I think Maddons too, was that keep them close, get CC out and get some whacks at the pen unfortunately we only got 3 outs to work with. But it was nice to see us get a run in the ninth.

Overall we are 4-2 against the Yanks this year and Price is still way ahead lifetime vs CC

I dont get down after losses like this, its too long a season and I dont expect to win them all.

• Rob says:

I disagree. Sabathia pitched to the umpires strike zone, which was somewhat low. The HRs Price gave up were at the belt (and the Cano HR was a hanging slider over the middle of the plate). If Price would have made the adjustment and kept the ball down he would have faired better. Their “stuff” may have been a wash, but Sabathia pitched better.

4. Sam Bliesner says:

When David Price is hitting 97 on his fastball. That’s generally not a good thing. It means he is too amped up and needs to calm down a bit. Look at how he pitched last time against the A’s. He never reached 97. I think the highest I saw was 95. When he’s throwing a slower fastball he is able to work the corners a lot more effectively.

Yesterday’s issues were people were trying to hit the crap out of the ball instead of putting it into play. They were swinging at some awful pitches against CC and elevating his K count. It wasn’t awful game, but it could have been and should have been better. I claim S-Rod and EJ should be the only ones bunting… but with a guy like Rhymes… he needs to know how to bunt.

5. Sam Bliesner says:

Also I really don’t understand why the team bunts more often in situations where it would work well. I know Maddon has his crazy schemes and such, but I think it would work a lot better if they started bunting. I might just have to put the blame on Derek Shelton on this one… maybe he just doesn’t know how to teach bunting.

6. Rob says:

The Rays claim that to win they have to execute properly on the little things (the extra 2%). Well, they have executed very poorly bunting the ball this year. I think they better figure out how to get this corrected or they might end up 1% short this year.

7. Mark says:

and what is with all the two strike bunt attempts? There has been more this year than I’ve seen in the last ten years combined.