RAYS 8, Jays 5 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Carlos Pena. Pena was hitting just .116 with 1 HR in the last 20 games, so Joe Maddon wanted to change things up and put Pena at the leadoff spot. Pena responded with 2 hits, including a long home run. But was most exciting about the home run was that he hit it to center. When Pena struggles he tries to hit every ball 500 feet right down the right field line. But when takes a ball to center or left-center, that is a when he is on his game and seeing the ball…Joe Magic. Most managers would have dropped Carlos Pena in the lineup. But for most hitters, that actually puts more pressure on them as it feels like a demotion and a need to prove themselves. Maddon knows this in part because he is not afraid to buck tradition. But mostly, Maddon knows this, because he knows people, and he knows his players better than maybe any manager ever…Wolverine. Luke Scott hit his first home run to left field since 2010 (2008 if you don’t count left-center).
THE BAD: Hot Rod’s Arm. Recently we have heaped a bunch of praise on Sean Rodriguez’ glove, and rightly so. But while we were praising the grabs, we should have noticed that many of those plays were saved by Carlos Pena at the other end. Well Pena couldn’t help last night when Hot Rod threw one away scoring 2 runs and cutting the Rays lead to 2…Double-Nickle’s Double-Outs. With less than 2 outs, hitters were 0-10 with 5 strikeouts and just 1 walk off of Matt Moore. But with 2 outs, hitters were 3-7 with 3 walks. It is one thing to ease up with 2 outs and nobody on. But Moore also has to make sure to stay focused.
THE TELLING: The Rays remain 2 games behind the Orioles…
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- There is some GIFy goodness at the end of this post.
- If you watched the second half of Monday’s game or the first inning last night, you might have noticed that Sun Sports wasn’t showing commercials between innings. Turns out it was due to technical problems at a Fox facility in Houston that was affecting a number of Fox regional networks. [Variety]
- BJ Upton would like to see the Trop’s catwalk groundrules changed to help the pitcher and defense. [TampaBay.com]
- Matt Silverman went on 620 WDAE and discussed the stadium situation. [620WDAE.com]
- The situation in Oakland might actually be worse. [BI Sports]
- “As ballparks go, Tropicana Field is a travesty.” [Toronto Sun]
- Is Josh Freeman’s accuracy a “serious matter”? [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Charlotte 5, DURHAM 2. Jim Paduch gave up 4 runs (2 earned) in 4 innings, with 3 strikeouts and 2 walks…RF Leslie Anderson was 2-4 with his 4th home run. He is hitting .329…DH Hideki Matsui was 0-4 with a strikeout. He is 4-30 (.133) in 8 games…C Jose Lobaton went 0-4 with a strikeout.
MONTGOMERY. (no game scheduled)
Brevard County 9, CHARLOTTE 1. DH Brandon Allen went 0-3 with a walk…1B Philip Wunderlich hit his 4th home run.
BOWLING GREEN. (no game scheduled)
Carlos Pena sure looked relaxed before the game…