Red Sox 5, RAYS 3 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: No Panic. Matt Moore had a rough start, in which 5 of the first 8 batters he faced reached base, including a bases loaded walk. But rather than panic and implode, as many young pitchers will do, he settled down. He retired 15 of the last 17 batters he faced including the last 10 in a row. Of those final 17 batters, he struck out 5 and walked none…Rich Thompson. It was a long time coming. But 8 years after making his Major League debut, Thompson picked up his first big lead basehit, a nice slap single back up the middle. He then stole 2nd and 3rd.
THE BAD: The Bullpen. Well, you knew the relievers couldn’t dominate every night. But at 3-2, we felt the Rays still had a shot. Badenhop, Howell, and Davis giving up 2 runs looked like it took the wind out of the Rays’ sails, so to speak…Luke Scott. Wolverine had a rough night. Not only did he get plunked (allegedly) on purpose, he went 0-4, and was the final out in four different innings, including the 4th when he left the bases loaded, the 6th when he left runners on second and third, and the 8th when he left runners on second and third again. In all, he stranded 7 runners, 6 of whom were in scoring position.
THE TELLING: DH Hideki Matsui went 0-3 against Daisuke Matsuzaka in what was apparently a circus at triple-A Durham…The Rays now trail the Orioles by 1 game in the East. They do have a 3.5 game lead over the 3rd place team in the Wild Card standings (Yankees).
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Be sure to click the <Read More…> below to get a good look at what an angry Luke Scott looks like.
- The Rays have decided on Saturday’s starting pitcher but are not ready to announce it. We would be shocked if it is not Alex Cobb, who also has the advantage of pitching on a normal amount of rest. [TampaBay.com]
- Will Rhymes wanted to taking BP yesterday, but the trainers stopped him. Good news is Joe Maddon says Rhymes won’t be out long. [TampaBay.com]
- Don Zimmer was at the game for the first time since opening weekend. [TBO.com]
- Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe spoke with Rocco Baldelli about his new career as an assistant to Andrew Friedman. [Boston.com]
- Double-A starting pitcher Shane Dyer has been promoted to triple-A, presumably to take over for the pitcher getting called up to replace Jeff Niemann. [Biscuit Crumbs]
- So, writers employed by the NFL are trashing NFL players? The NFLPA can’t be happy about this. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
DURHAM 5, Pawtucket 0. Jim Paduch threw 6 shutout innings, striking out 3 and walking 2…DH Hideki Matsui was 0-3…LF Leslie Anderson went 1-3 and 1B Henry Wrigley hit his second home run in 7 games since being promoted from double-A…SS Reid Brignac went 0-4.
Birmingham 5, MONTGOMERY 3. SS Hak-Ju Lee went 2-4 and is hitting .240…DH Michael Sheridan hit his 2nd home run.
Tampa 9, CHARLOTTE 3. CF Mikie Mahtook went 1-4 with a double. He’s hitting .284…2B Derek Dietrich was 1-2 with 2 walks.
BOWLING GREEN 5, Dayton 4. LF Josh Sale went 2-4 with his 4th home run in his last 7 games.
Wolverine got hit (on purpose). Wolverine not happy. Wolverine walk to first. Wolverine plot revenge…