RAYS 3, Mariners 1 (boxscore)

THE GOOD: Moore Is Close. Will have more on Moore in a little while. But 7 strikeouts and just 1 walk is a solid day at the ballpark. Of course, despite just 1 walk, he did throw too many pitches, and was out after just 5 innings…Matty Joyce. His home run drove in 1 run. And his triple in the first was nearly another home run, but did drive in the Rays first run of the game. If not for Joyce, the Rays…Honey Badger Shoots The Moon. Fernando Rodney faced 3 batters and threw just 14 pitches. But he struck out all 3. And all 3 went down swinging. Just nasty.

THE BAD: No O. The Rays did score 3 runs and won the game. But in their first game post-Longo, the Rays managed just 3 hits, and hitters not named Matt Joyce were just 1-21. Prior to last night, the Rays had at least 5 hits in every game…Ugh. Between Evan Longoria and Tim Beckham, it wasn’t the best day in franchise history. Then again, we now have the answer to who will play shortstop at triple-A Durham: Reid Brignac, and not Beckham.

THE TELLING: Evan Longoria has been placed on the DL and Will Rhymes was added to the 40-man roster and promoted. Kyle Farnsworth was moved to the 60-day DL to make room on the 40-man roster. The earliest Farnsville can return now is the first week of June…The Rays are 15-8, 1 game ahead of the Orioles…

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Be sure to check below for a funny clip from last night’s game.
  • Hideki Matsui met with the media. [MLB Video]
  • There is no official out-clause in Hideki Matsui’s contract. However, Andrew Friedman made it sound like they wouldn’t stand in the way if another team wanted him in the majors. [TampaBay.com]
  • The Mets are now having themed road trips. Hmmm, where have we seen that before? [Mets Blog]

DOWN ON THE FARM

DURHAM 5, Louisville 4. Lance Pendleton made his first start of the season, giving up just 1 run in 4 innings. He struck out 1…CF Jesus Feliciano went 3-5 with a double, a walk and 3 RBI…SS Reid Brignac went 0-2 with 4 walks…2B Shawn O’Malley had 3 hits and a walk.

MONTGOMERY 6, Tennessee 5. Matt Buschmann struck out 4 and walked just 3 in 4 innings. He gave up 3 runs…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 2-5 with a triple and an RBI…DH Kyeong Kang hit his 5th home run…RF Henry Wrigley was 2-3 with 2 walks and stole 3 bases…CF Brad Coon added his 6th and 7th steals.

CHARLOTTE 4, Bradenton 1. Braulio Lara improved to 3-0, holding the Marauders to 1 run in 6 innings. He struck out 4 and walked just 1…SS Derek Dietrich hit his first home run of the season.

BOWLING GREEN. (no game scheduled)

Major League Baseball? $17…Broken ribs? $2,000…Enjoyment for the rest of us? Priceless

Tags

1. Amanda says:

When you don’t go to Rays games, there are empty seats. When there are empty seats, there is no cushioning on the seats. When there is no cushoning on the seats, you break your ribs when you dive for a foul ball.

Don’t break your ribs. Go to Rays games.

2. JoeRaysFan says:

Buy that man a flak jacket!~

3. Gus says:

Isn’t Zobrist a decent third baseman? The thought of Elliot Johnson manning that position for the next 6-8 weeks is making me want to weep. Under any scenario, Zobrist should never be in RF until Longo returns, as we need that RF slot to be manned by somebody who is at least a major league hitter — Matsui, etc. Last night’s line-up is not acceptable.

Besides the offense, Longoria is doing a great job at playing that side of the defense on the shift. You need a very good fielder at 3b more than 2b in the Rays defense. Zobrist is our man. Last year in this space I argued for Plan Z (moving Zobrist back to 2b full time, and they basically followed that when Jennings came up). This is Plan ZX — Zobrist at 3b until Longo come back.

• Beth says:

Of all things, I think it’s the Brandon Guyer injury that hurts most here (second, of course, to Longoria’s injury). If you could bring him up to platoon with Joyce, that frees up Zobrist to be an every day second baseman — or, if need be, to get some experience at third.

But at present, I don’t see what our right field options are. Matsui is a lefty, so how does he fit into a platoon with Joyce? My guess is that we’ll see Joyce every day.

Let’s face it, all these plans are truly inferior to having our all star 3rd baseman back.

• Drew says:

He’s played over 1000 innings at short for this team. Not very well, but he’s done it. Only 20 innings at 3rd.

• Gus says:

I’d rather a lefty like Joyce or Matsui than Elliot Johnson to face a lefty. If my choices are only those, I go with the better player. After all, starters rarely make it past the 6th inning any more, so we are only talking a couple of ABs.

I’m sure Elliot is a great guy, but what kills me about him is that the things a fringe major leaguer like him should be great at by hard work — bunting, base running and fielding — he is terrible at. I understand he can’t hit at the MLB level. But at least do the other stuff.

Zobrist the ex-SS would be playing SS in the shift as a 3B, effectively. I think he fits the bill. That is the toughest defensive position on the Rays as they play. We need our best defender there when Longo can’t go.

• Dave says:

Rodriguez is the best defender to fill the hole at 3rd. Have to hope his bat comes alive at some point.

Briggy would be better at SS, but the Rays are committed to keeping him in Durham. Seems they’ve decided they’ll stick with Johnson as he’s out of options. This is Johnson’s chance to show he can play. If he fails miserably then he will have to hope someone picks him up on waivers (or the Rays keep the clock stopped on Brignac).

In any case keep Zobrist at 2B, it’s where he will play best. Also don’t like the idea of playing musical chairs with the entire infield because of one injury, even if it is Longo.

Trading Davis or Niemann remains a real possibility for us. If we can upgrade SS or even C it would probably look really good right about now.

• Gus says:

Maddon plays musical chairs with the defense every night.

• Patrick says:

What catchers are available? There are no quality catchers anymore – many of them can hit, but cannot play the position very well. Suzuki has no arm – I dont want a catcher that cannot throw out a runner. This is our perfect opportunity to fill our SS need. If we could pick someone up that can fill in for Longo & upon Longo’s return move our new acquisition to SS – that would be ideal.

• Patrick says:

I agree with you on Zobrist. His arm & size is the best fit for 3B. I am not a fan of Joe playing musical chairs with the defense – I would like to see more consistency. Our OF should never change – Allen cannot play the OF, he is too big. With Longo & Upton out – how could Joe give Zobrist the day off – did he hurt himself last game? Our defense stinks this year – that has to fall back on the Mad Professor. If a player cannot hit at the ML level – they should be proficient at small ball. Can any of our players bunt besides Carlos? I understand the Rays philosophy, but small ball is baseball – I will never forget that.

4. Tyler says:

10-1 record at home, no rain delays, comfortable weather 100% of the time… I love the Trop.

• Patrick says:

My favorite part is when the ball hits the catwalk or during day games when the OF’s loose sight of the ball against the bright white dome. Diamond in the rough I suppose.

5. Patrick says:

Everyday I check the lineup on twitter & when Joyce is not in the lineup – I curse out my computer. Joyce can hit LH pitching – he just needs more at bats. He has been hot most of the year, why sit him?