RAYS 2, Red Sox 1 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Hellboy Cometh. Some predicted that Jeremy Hellickson would take a step backwards this season. And yet, after 8 starts, he actually looks better. Last night was more of the same, yielding just 1 run in 6 innings, striking out 6 and walking just 2. Those last two numbers are the most important. Hellboy should be striking out about 1 per inning, and he should have about 3 times as many Ks as walks. Perfect…Bullpen Backend. Fernando Rodney and Joel Peralta have turned into quite an 8th and 9th inning combo. The two combined for another 2 scoreless innings, allowing one baserunner. Peralta was especially impressive getting Dustin Pedroia, David Ortiz, and Adrian Gonzalez 1-2-3 in the 8th…Matt Joyce Head’s Up. On a shallow flyball to right field in the 6th with no outs, it looked like Joyce was content to stay at third base. But Cody Ross overran the ball just enough that he was off-balance when he made the grab. Joyce quickly tagged and sprinted home for the game-deciding run.
THE BAD: Crowded DL. The Rays now have 9 players on the DL.
THE TELLING: The Rays are still tied with the Orioles at 24-14, but are now 3.5 games ahead of the Yankees, and 6.5 in front of the Red Sox…Rich Thompson made his debut with the Rays, 8 years after his last big league appearance, as a pinch-runner.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Be sure to click the below for some GIFy Goodness.
- And in case you missed it last night, here’s video of Will Rhymes passing out after being hit by a pitch. [RaysIndex]
- Prior to the game, Brandon Guyer was placed on the DL with a left shoulder strain to make room for the newly acquired Rich Thompson.
- Here’s Will Rhymes talking about the incident. Video also has a good view of the bruise. [TampaBay.com]
- When asked who he was during routine questioning by the paramedics, Will Rhymes said “I am Batman,” just to mess with them. [TampaBay.com]
- Joe Maddon spoke about the decision to keep Wade Davis in the bullpen, which sounds a lot like “we don’t have confidence in him as a starter.” [TampaBay.com]
- Brett Lawrie was only suspended four games for hitting an umpire with his helmet, which is surprising. Sure it was unintentional, but it is not like he slammed the helmet in the direction of the dugout. [TBO.com]
- Elliot Johnson may be the biggest surprise of the year so far. [TBO.com]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Pawtucket 5, DURHAM 4. Lance Pendleton walked 6 and struck out just 1 in 4.1 innings. He somehow allowed just 2 runs…DH Hideki Matsui went 2-4 with a double and 2 RBI…LF Leslie Anderson continues to rack up the hits, going 3-5 with an RBI. He is now hitting .346, second-best in the IL…SS Reid Brignac went 1-2 with a walk.
MONTGOMERY 8, Birmingham 5. Joe Cruz struck out 7 in 5 innings, but gave up 4 runs on 6 hits and 4 walks…Jose Lobaton played catcher and went 1-2 with a double and a walk on his rehab assignment…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 0-5 with 3 strikeouts.
CHARLOTTE 3, Fort Myers 1. Albert Suarez gave up just 1 unearned run in 6 innings, striking out 1 and walking 1…CF Mikie Mahtook doubled in 4 at bats…SS Robi Estrada hit his first home run of the year.
BOWLING GREEN 4, Dayton 1. Roberto Gomez struck out 6 and walked 3 in 6 innings, allowing 1 unearned run on 3 hits…RF Drew Vettleson was 1-3 with a walk and LF Josh Sale went 1-4 with an RBI and his 2nd steal.
The frozen head of Ted Williams just threw up a little…