Braves 5, RAYS 3 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Luke Scott. One night after leaving 8 men on base and getting intentionally beaned with a pitch, Wolverine exacted some revenge going 3-3 with an RBI single and a sac fly…Elliot Johnson. A bunt? And it worked?!? Mini Maddon’s bunt single in the 2nd scored the first run of the game for the Rays…Josh Lueke. It was his last game with the Rays for a while, but it was an impressive one, retiring all 3 he faced, striking out 2, and hitting 94 on the gun.
THE BAD: James Shields. After falling behind 2-0 early, the Rays fought back and tied the game and Shields was cruising having retired 9 of 10 batters. But then, with 2 outs in the 5th, Shields opened with 3 straight pitches out of the strikezone to Martin Prado, who would eventually walk. This was followed by a double, a walk, and a single, and all of a sudden it was 4-2.
THE TELLING: The Rays are now 2 games behind the Orioles…Will Rhymes was available to pinch-hit and pinch-run, but was not used…2010 first round pick Josh Sale hit his 5th home run in the last 8 games for low-A Bowling Green…Brandon Allen hit a home run on his rehab assignment for single-A Charlotte…Hideki Matsui played left field for Durham going 0-3 with a walk and a strikeout…Chris Archer struck out 9 in just 4.2 innings for Durham, but gave up 7 hits, 4 walks and 4 runs.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Josh Lueke was optioned back to Durham following the game and Alex Cobb was called up to take make the start tonight.
- Add Joe Maddon to the list of injured. He pulled a hamstring after being chased by his neighbor’s dog that had gotten loose. And no, we are not making this up. [TampaBay.com]
- Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik won the bidding to transform the Channelside area. While there are no plans for a baseball stadium, one can’t help but wonder if Vinik is positioning himself to be prepared in the event Stuart Sternberg wants to sell the team, or just wants a partner to help build a stadium in Tampa. [Shadow of the Stadium]
- This is not a Tampa Bay Lightning cap that James Shields is wearing. [@CorkGaines]. Turns out it is a brand of sunglasses. [ElectricVisual]
- Rich Thompson went on the MLB Network yesterday. Here is a cool shot of his old Phillies triple-A teammates watching him. [@Heatwave42]
- Brian Price lost a third sibling and ended up in the hospital himself. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
They were dancing in the Braves dugout…