This post, which will appear before every game, will include starting lineups (when we learn them) and during the game will include a Game Graph that will constantly update the percent chance the Rays have of winning this particular game.

Game Graph

Source: FanGraphs

Playing A Little Pepper

Is Jonny Gomes the biggest “douchebag” in baseball?

Deadspin makes a pretty compelling argument. We always loved having him on the Rays, although we rarely wanted him in the lineup. And you can’t waste a roster spot on a cheerleader. So now that he is doing that crap with another team, against the Rays. Well, it is pretty annoying…DEFINITELY TOP FIVE

Lineup…

1. Flash Jennings, LF
  2. BJ Upton, CF
  3. Carlos Pena, 1B
  4. Jeff Keppinger, 3B
  5. Luke Scott, DH
  6. Sean Rodriguez, SS
  7. Matt Joyce, RF
  8. Chris Gimenez, C
  9. Elliot Johnson, 2B
  10. Matt Moore, SP

Song to get you pumped up

The worst part of “Baby Got Back” is that few people ever heard the best song on that album (WARNING: Language not safe for children or work)

Tags

1. Dave L says:

I read the article but I wasnt able to uncover an arguement to back the douchebag assertion. Especially “biggest”

He’s a career backup player who has his teammates back? That makes him the biggest douche? Swisher isnt a douche he seems like a good teammate as well and a likeable guy. Playing hard makes one a douche?

Coming off the bench making two key plays to lead your struggling team to victory against the hottest team in baseball spawns an article like this?

Fans love a guy who gives it all with but is not the most talented, like a Fuld.

So he admired his home run? Big deal

During the telecast Sunsports aired an interview with Gomes praising Maddon. I will always like Gomes and yesterdays performance did not diminish that at all.

2. Blake says:

I could never hate Gomer and Swisher is the only Yankee I can stand.

3. ali says:

Anybody who was a Rays fan before 2008 loves jonny. He always had fun out there, played hard, and was friendly to fans. Sure, his D was bad and dem strikeouts, but everything was bad back then on this team yet he was one of the few bright spots. You can easily tell a bandwagon fan by his knowledge of jonny Gomes.

• Martin B says:

I loved Jonny, but that doesn’t make it ok to show up Peralta last night and act like he hit that ball 500 feet when it actually barely cleared the wall.

4. ali says:

besides everyone knows that AJ Pierzynski and Nyger Morgan are the biggest douches in Baseball

Couple of thoughts abut Sean Newell’s artricle:
    1) WHo the hell is he what has he ever done in sports or anything?
    2) He sounds like a 3rd grader who just learned a new word, “Douche bag.. Does mommy know you say that Sean?
    3)He keeps harping how far the home run was…barely clearing the WALL..sO WHAT Sean it doesn’t matter how far it cleared the wall…no 3 pointers in baseball
    4) guarantee if you have ever done ANYTHING to stick it up your old bosses ass you have have stood and admired it too
    5) if you would like to repeat your thoughts to Jonny.. Personally.. I’m sure he would like to hear them…a blog doesn’t count..

• Martin B says:

The “i bet you wouldn’t say that to his face” argument is the lamest in sports. Just because Jonny might win a fight doesn’t make the writer any more right or wrong. There were a lot of people that were afraid to tell the Nazis they were being douche bags to their faces. That doesn’t make what the Nazis did ok.

6. LSX says:

To this day, Gomes is still my favorite player. I think every true Rays fan will forever be a Jonny Gomes fan.

Well look at it this way Martin B. if you called me a Douchebag to my face because you don’t like the way I play baseball or you don’t like the way I dress or talk..your taking your safety in YOUR own hands.. but if you call me a Douchbag in some obscure Blog site then your just some media punk hiding behind the written word….
    I’m sure Jonny would agree….

8. Beth says:

I have to admit I never got all the Jonny love. I guess if baseball were like hockey and we needed a team enforcer, he’d be our guy. But the qualities that seem to appeal to people never, to me, overcame his weaknesses as a player (weaknesses clearly not in evidence this weekend!!) — the strike outs, the pop ups. The many dives after outfield balls, some caught and some not, that a better fielder could have gotten to without the acrobatics. And watching him at bat was always an ordeal — the constant re-fastening of his batting gloves and other nervous tics. I would always wonder whether the boy had forgotten to take his Ritalin.

However, I completely disagree with Cork that the Deadspin article makes a compelling argument! That article simply declares Gomes a “douchebag” with no evidence at all. Is the man a cheater? A racist? Does he use PEDs? No, every once in a while he showboats a little.

9. David says:

No way Jonny Gomes makes the “hate” list. He doesnt talk poorly about the Rays, he gave everything he had when playing, and he didnt try to leave – he just wasnt re-signed.

However, got me thinking about who should be on Tampas most hated sports figure list:

1) Pat Burrell
    2) Ricky Proehl
    3) Keyshawn Johnson
    4) Barry Melrose
    5) Kelly Shoppach/Kevin Youkilis

• Beth says:

Why Kelly Shoppach? He didn’t produce much for us offensively, but if simply being a disappointment gets you on the “hate” list then it’s going to be a very long list indeed.

• David says:

Hate may be a tad harsh for Shoppach but he makes my list for his terrible playoff series vs the Rangers, sub .200 batting average and overall lack of performace, and now playing for the hated Sox (and actually playing well)…

10. I don’t hate Johnny Gomes, even though he broke our back in the 4 to 3 loss.
    Barry Melrose is hard for a Tampa Sports Fan to love, with that greased hair and all.

11. Dave L says:

After the Rays Index crowd comes out somewhat unanamously that we remember Gomes fondly….

Did the Rays TV or Radio crews acknowledge the Gomes big bro defense of Aki? I listened to a combo of both and I never heard it in all the Gomes flashback stuff