Claimed off of waivers from the Oakland A’s just a week ago, and making just his second plate appearance for the Rays, Brandon Allen delivered a trot-off 2-run home run today to beat the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim near Disneyland.

Earlier this week we said that Allen reminded us of Dan Johnson. But we had no idea he would be this similar.

Here’s the home run along with the radio call by Dave Wills and Andy Freed, who (as usual) nailed it…

1. mike says:

I like what we have seen so far, but comparing him to Home Run Dan? He is not that level yet.

• Cork Gaines says:

His level of heroics isnt there yet, and probably never will be. But he does fill the same role of Dan Johnson. That is, he is not good enough to be an everyday player, but he has enough pop in his bat and ice in his veins to be called upon in the 9th inning to do one thing, hit a home run.

2. Sean says:

The video isn't working :( can we fix that somehow?

3. Andy says:

Totally agree w/the Dan Johnson comparison!! It sure felt that way at the Trop, too :D In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the new BA got a congratulatory text from DJo!! Sure, Brandon isn't at the level Dan was when last seen rounding the bases at the Trop (#162), but today's blast does rival the DJo bomb at Fenway Park that was his lift-off to Rays Stardom!! :D

4. Rich says:

My first thoughts when listening to the game was 'the great pumpkin lives'

5. Dre says:

just a funny point about the video - this doesn't show a great shot of it but i watched the replay several times last night on ESPN and after the ump stands next to the mob of players and makes certain that Allen touches home plate, he walks away shaking his head as if he is disgusted by the celebration. what's up his butt?

• Cork Gaines says:

We will have that in the Hangover post shortly. But after watching it a few times, I think he is just annoyed because as he is looking in, Luke Scott bumps into him and knocks the ump's cap. That's still not a good reason to be annoyed, but I think that is what happened.

• Dave L says:

I noticed that too but forgot about it until you brought it up. I think he wont be the only one annoyed by the Rays collective child-like exuberance that has been really amped up a notch this year. Especially if we keep winning.

Just like Maddons themed road trips. I think some people are getting the impression that the Rays are a little "unprofessional" at times.

They can all go pound sand as far as I am concerned. i think its all great and if it keeps guys loose i'm all for it