For good or for bad, Robert Szasz, also known as “The Happy Heckler” is at tonight’s game against the Mariners, in his old familiar seat right behind home plate.

Tonight he is heckling Michael Saunders

If you are not familiar, Szasz was a season-ticket holder for a number of years who became quasi-famous (he even wrote a book!) for picking one opposing player each game and heckling that player very loudly each time that player was at bat.

As far as we know, the last time Szasz attended a game was in 2008. Following that season, the Heckler, who is (was?) a real estate developer, defaulted on $9 million in loans and was being sued by a bank. We have no idea what happened to that case.

To a lot of people, The Happy Heckler is annoying. But there are a lot of worse things. He only does it 4-5 times a game. And remember, it annoys the opposition more. And as long as they keep complaining, it is OK in our book.

1. Dre says:

I’m positive I heard him during the last home series. Glad to see he’s back!

• Andy says:

I agree. I know I heard him at least 1 other time this season! When I heard him tonight, my initial response was, “Omg, it’s him, again” & I meant that in reference to this season only. Yes, he IS annoying!! Glad I don’t sit near him when I go!! Hope he’s back strong for our rivals (e.g., reminding Jeter he’s a Cheater)!!!

2. Harmicky says:

I’m glad to see him back!

3. zenny says:

Ugh. He’s an annoying reminder of the bad ol’ days, imo.

4. Mark Davis says:

I hate that guy!! He’s a friggin’ jinx!! Look what happened to Longoria last night – point proven!

5. lou soscia says:

he is a pain in the ass

6. Bill says:

He’s a douche and so is any fan that thinks his antics are good for the team. What about the right of other patrons to enjoy the game in peace?

7. Old Sox Fan says:

I was wondering whatever happened to him. I was at the Trop for Happy Heckler Night and still have my plastic megaphone. He bounced the first pitch and got the reception he deserved. BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Bill Allen says:

He’s part of listening to a Ray’s game. You can hear him clearly over the radio. I remember he really got on Bret Boone and last year Mike Saunders. Just another amenity to the fan experience. Love to hear him live and glad he got through his real estate challenges.