Tigers 5, RAYS 2 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Matt Moore. Obviously the 5 walks were ugly. And yes, he got squeezed on a couple of pitches. A look at the Pitchf/x (below) shows a few pitches in the zone that were called balls. But there are also a few outside the zone that were called strikes. And if we look at Rick Porcello’s strikezone plot (HERE) we see a couple of pitches that actually look like worse calls. In other words, the ump sucked both ways. And there was some concern with Moore’s velocity, which was 95-96 early, but was *only* 92-93 after the first couple of innings. Still, it seemed like a solid debut considering the competition and the weather.
THE BAD: Jake McGee. Poor Jake. A lot of pitchers are going to struggle facing Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder back-to-back. And in hindsight, maybe giving up just 3 bases combined is not the worst outcome. But you hope that you can get one of the guys out. McGee did not. And the lead was lost and the Tigers’ rally was on…Jose Molina. This guy is going to do more good than bad. But geez, when you hit a groundball to shallow left, you can’t get thrown out at first. And the Tigers scored their first run on what was officially a wild pitch. But Molina will be the first to tell you he should have blocked that. Just terrible…Matt Joyce. Joyce was going on a pitch in the second inning and ended up getting doubled-up on the flyball to right field. It was part bad luck. But it was also bad baserunning as Joyce didn’t pick up the ball until he was at second base.
THE TELLING: Other than Jeff Keppinger at DH for the injured Luke Scott, this was the lineup we expect to see most often, while BJ Upton is out. And that includes Reid Brignac at shortstop…Surprise! Suddenly Luke Scott’s initial diagnosis of “3-4 days” sounds less likely.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Did you see this video of Matt Moore from yesterday? [RI Videos]
- That’s just one of the many things you can see if you follow us on Twitter during games. [@corkgaines for commentary, or @RaysIndex for links and breaking news]
- Nick Swisher on all the shifts used by Joe Maddon during the opening series: “That’s a defense I’ve never seen before…I don’t think anybody has ever seen that.” (thanks Thad) [NYTimes]
- So, apparently Matt Bush may have been involved in as many as three accidents on the day of his arrest. [TampaBay.com]
- Apparently the US Government is handing out green cards to foreigners if they invest at least $500,000 in a project that creates jobs. This program resulted in nearly $300 million for the new arena in Brooklyn for the New Jersey Nets. And now some are hoping that same project can help pay for a new Rays stadium. [BI Sports]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Charlotte 5, DURHAM 0. Alex Cobb gave up just 2 runs in 7 innings on 4 hits and a walk. He struck out 2 and added a wild pitch…The Bulls managed just 4 hits, all singles…SS Tim Beckham was 0-4.
MONTGOMERY 7, Mississippi 3. Shane Dyer worked 6 innings, giving up 2 runs on 4 hits and no walks. He struck out 2…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 1-5 with a walk…2B Tyler Bortnick had a single, a double, and his 2nd steal.
St. Lucie 6, CHARLOTTE 2. Wilking Rodriguez gave up 2 runs on 4 hits and 2 walks in 4.2 innings. He struck out 1…SS Derek Dietrich went 0-3 with 2 strikeouts and an error…CF Mikie Mahtook was 0-4.
West Michigan 4, BOWLING GREEN 3. Roberto Gomez held West Michigan to 2 runs in 5 innings. He struck out none and walked 1…1B Cameron Seitzer had a single and 2 walks…RF Drew Vettleson went 0-4.
Matt Moore’s pitchf/x with only called balls (green) and called strikes (red).
4/10/12 Game 4 vs Detroit Tigers
Matt Moore. Don’t be fooled by the cute smile. This kid is all heat…