RAYS 5, Angels 0 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: David Price. It was King David at his absolute best. His third career complete game and his second career shutout. And he was just cruising the entire game…Golden D. Matt Joyce’s diving grab was nice, but we were most excited about Evan Longoria’s two big plays, one charging in, and the other starting a double-play. Longo’s glove got its groove back…Sweet Fancy Power Moses. The Rays played a game of home run derby with the Angels last night, and it was a TKO in the 6th inning. Four of the Rays 5 runs were scored via solo home runs, and they were all good signs. Desmond Jennings is still showing good pop, hitting his 3rd. Luke Scott’s shoulder sure seems healthy with his 4th. BJ Upton pounded an inside fastball and did a god job of keeping his hands in to keep the ball fair. And oh yeah, Carlos Pena murdered a baseball. Again…Power Outage. While the Rays are hitting home runs, the pitching staff is suddenly looking like the dominant force we were expecting, and that we knew would eventually show up. Rays pitchers have now gone 4 straight games without giving up a home run.
THE BAD: Solo Mad. We’re not going to fret too much when the Rays score 5 runs. With this pitching staff, 5 runs will win a lot of baseball games. But it also too much to expect 4 home runs every night. It would be nice if some of those home runs produced crooked numbers. And one way to do that is to do better than 1 walk and 9 strikeouts.
THE TELLING: Look for BJ Upton to move from his 7th spot in the lineup. As well as he is hitting right now, he either needs to be hitting second (most likely) or ninth, yes ninth. Find a way to get him and Desmond Jennings setting up the big bats…Carlos Pena’s home run was also his 1,000th career hit…Everybody in the AL East (except Boston) is tied at 10-7.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Be sure to click “Read More…” below to see the awesome Jump&Bump following last night’s game.
- GIF: Evan Longoria wants to show you his Wax On, Sand the Floor.
- A lady in a wheelchair called Matt Geiger an “A-hole” for interfering with a pop-up. For his part, Geiger did apologize, saying “I’m the idiot.” [TampaBay.com]
- Isn’t it time to retire the “Price is Right” headlines? (h/t Matthew) [MLB Network]
- Fernando Rodney and his former manager Mike Scioscia are not on speaking terms. [LA Times]
- Joe Maddon is worried that Jeremy Hellickson is throwing too many cutters, which could be taking away from his better pitches. [TampaBay.com]
- Teammates seem to love Honey Badger, with Evan Longoria saying Fernando Rodney has “ice in his veins.” Kyle Farnsworth will make a good 7th or 8th inning guy. [TampaBay.com]
- Carl Crawford is going to get a second opinion on his elbow. This sounds bad. [Boston Herald]
- Jeremy Hellickson is still struggling with his control. [TBO.com]
- Draft Day is tomorrow. The top two picks are set. But what happens at #3 and #4 will determine what the Bucs do. Be sure to keep checking with Joe Bucs Fans. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Norfolk 8, DURHAM 5. Alex Cobb struck out 6 in 4 innings, but allowed 6 runs on 8 hits and 4 walks…With Tim Beckham moved to the DL, Reid Brignac played shortstop, going 1-5 with a double and 2 strikeouts…2B Will Rhymes was 3-5 with a triple and a home run…1B Leslie Anderson was 1-3 with a double. He is hitting .338
MONTGOMERY 7, Pensacola 4. SS Hak-Ju Lee went 3-5 with a triple and 3 RBI.
CHARLOTTE 6, Palm Beach 4. Albert Suarez gave up just 1 unearned run in 6 innings, striking out 3.
BOWLING GREEN 3, Quad Cities 2. RF Drew Vettleson went 4-4 with a pair of doubles and his 2nd home run. Vettleson is hitting .333…1B Jeff Malm had 3 hits including 2 doubles, and is now hitting .322.
Look who does the jump and bump after the game. It is the entire rotation, and Luke Scott (of course)…