Red Sox 12, RAYS 2 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Wade Davis. Big Dub was the lone bright spot for the Rays, tossing 3 shutout innings. His fastball topped out at just 93, but he did get 3 swinging strikes on fastballs (good locations) and five overall.
THE BAD: David Price. It just wasn’t there for King David, giving up 3 runs on 4 hits and 3 walks. He lasted just 3 innings. It was his shortest outing as a starter since 2009 when he lasted just 1.1 innings in a start against the Rangers…The Bullpen. Joel Peralta and Josh Lueke combined to give up 8 runs in the 8th inning. Just ugly, ugly baseball.
THE TELLING: Jeremy Hellickson will start today…Josh Lueke was demoted to triple-A following the game, with Dane de la Rosa called up to replace him…Luke Scott returned to action when he pinch-hit in the 7th inning. He received a small round of boos as he was introduced...BJ Upton had a single and then stole second and third during his rehab assignment game. He finished 1-3.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Click the <Read More…> below to see a couple of funny clips from yesterday’s game, including Kelly Shoppach’s first career stolen base and his memorable slide.
- Matt Garza had a pretty funny brainfart, surprising nobody. [BI Sports]
- Rays minor league catcher Craig Albernaz pitched a perfect inning on Thursday, and another scoreless inning last night. This is not that unusual. This was the sixth and seventh times in his minor league career that Albernaz has been used as a pitcher, including three times last year. [WDBB]
- Joe Maddon found humor in the sh*tstorm caused by Bobby Valentine doing a regular spot on a New York radio station. Maddon noted that he doesn’t even have a regular spot on the Tampa Bay stations. [WEEI.com]
- If the Bucs do draft Trent Richardson, sounds like they would be getting a good player and a good person. [BI Sports]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Can You tell this was Kelly Shoppach’s first career stolen base?