RAYS 8, Orioles 5 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Flash of Power. If you missed our post yesterday afternoon, Desmond Jennings belted three home runs (CLICK HERE TO SEE THE HOME RUNS). Also, Evan Longoria is heating up at the right moment, hitting his fourth home run. And remember when we said Longo’s new swing should generate more power and help him attack inside pitches? Well, yesterday’s bomb came on an inside pitch that he hit to centerfield (many would have yanked it foul), and Longoria was actually surprised the ball cleared the wall. And all of a sudden, the Rays don’t seem to have much of a power problem.
THE BAD: Depth and Injuries. Unless the Rays make a trade in the next couple of days, Jeff Salazar is going to be the fourth outfielder. Jeff Salazar…More Injuries. Jeff Niemann is battling a blister on his finger, but did throw a bullpen session yesterday and is expected to pitch in Wednesday’s game at The Trop.
THE TELLING: Desmond Jennings was the first Rays player to hit 3 home runs in a spring game. And he joins Evan Longoria and Jonny Gomes, who both did it in regular season games…Jesus Feliciano and Will Rhymes were cut over the weekend…Carlos Pena batted second again yesterday and Matt Joyce was once again in left field.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- This is what I do at my other gig. And a hint at what we might see around here this season at the new RI. [BI Sports]
- It sounds like Matt Bush wasn’t alone prior to his arrest for DUI. The second person is described as “a fit, good-sized [African-American], who looked to be in his 30s”…Was it another player? [TampaBay.com]
- The Boston Globe ranks Joe Maddon as the best manager in baseball. How else do you explain the Red Sox’ 2011 collapse? [Boston Globe]
- Jose Molina gave Matt Moore a stern lecture and it appeared to pay off. [TampaBay.com]
- Be sure to check out Toby David’s latest podcast discussing the Rays. [TobyDavid.com]
- Will Josh Freeman improve under Greg Schiano? [JoeBucsFan]
- Finally, here’s Ken Rosenthal discussing the Rays.