RAYS 5, Rangers 2 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Sending a Message. The Rays went into Texas and won 2 of 3. We don’t know if that means the Rays are better than the Rangers. But it does mean that right now, the Rays are as good as any team in the AL. Some people already knew that. Most didn’t. Now they do…King David’s Change. If you were there for the Tailgate before the game, we said the key to Price was his changeup. Of his 101 pitches, 24 were changeups, and 18 of those were strikes. And of those 4 were swinging strikes. In other words, he had the powerful Rangers lineup guessing most of the night. Is 6.1 innings enough from Price? Sure we would like a little more. But against the Rangers, that is enough with a lead…Joel Peralta. He’s not getting the same love as Honey Badger. And part of that was a rough start to the season. But holy moley. With a man on in the 7th, he came in and struck out two straight to end a quasi-rally. And then Peralta retired the Rangers 1-2-3 in the 8th…Zorilla. Ben Zobrist was just 3 for his last 27 and hitting .183 entering the game. But he went 3-4 for his first multi-hit game in more than 2 weeks.
THE BAD: We Have To Stop Underestimating. We have to find a way to stop underestimating this team. They are really, really good. Knowing the schedule, we would have been ecstatic with 11-11 at this point. Going into Texas, we would have been happy with one win in the series.
THE TELLING: Jose Lobaton is close to going on a rehab assignment…David Price was 0-6 with a 5.30 ERA in the regular season against the Rangers prior to last night…The Durham Bulls lost their 13th straight game yesterday. But at least they didn’t waste any hits in this one. It was a no-hitter…Reid Brignac is just 3-24 (.125) since being demoted.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Be sure to click the <Read More…> below to see some GIFs from last night’s game…
- Joe Maddon sounds encouraged (of course) about Jose Molina and expects things to get better. [TampaBay.com]
- Wade Davis says his new role is still a work in progress, but Joe Maddon says Friday’s game was a big lesson. [TBO.com]
- Joe Maddon calls his outfield, one of the best he’s ever seen. [TBO.com]
- BraysBallTalk is branching out. Cool. Looking forward to it. [BRaysballTalk]
- We miss Josh Hamilton and Buster Posey. But we are glad Bryce Harper is somebody else’s problem. [BI Sports]
- The Bucs are going to work out a “modern day Doug Flutie” this week. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Indianapolis 2, DURHAM 0. Alex Cobb’s strong outing was spoiled, striking out 5, walking none, and allowing just 2 runs in 6.1 innings…Dane de la Rosa struck out 3 and retired all 8 batters he faced.
Birmingham 5, MONTGOMERY 3. SS Hak-Ju Lee had his 5th multi-hit game in the last 6 games, going 2-4 with a walk. His average is up to .248. He also stole his 5th base.
Palm Beach 3, CHARLOTTE 0. Enny Romero allowed just 1 run in 6 innings, striking out 2 and walking 2…The Stone Crabs managed just 4 hits.
Wisconsin 5, BOWLING GREEN 2. Ryan Carpenter struck out 5 and walked 1 in 6 innings…RF Drew Vettleson was 1-4
A few GIFs from yesterday’s game…
Here’s Sean Rodriguez’ great slide as he tagged up from first base: