In the 8th inning, the Rays had first and third with nobody out. At that point, reliever David Robertson struck out three straight Rays to end the inning unscathed. And with the great Mariano Rivera waiting to pitch the 9th, the Rays’ hopes looked grim.

And that’s when the cameras for the Yes Network caught this popped-collar Rays fan deciding he had had enough. He gets up, hugs a bro, and walks out.

Did popped-collar bro learn nothing from Game 162?

1. Joel Verlin says:

Wonder if the guy who was doing the celebration still was happy after Pena got the walk off single?

2. Ken Heller says:

Got to love the Yanks fan fist pumping just a wee bit early. Sort of lost in Carlos’ big AB were Flash and Zobie’s AB’s earlier in the inning. Huge.

3. I think popped up collar bro was fed up with the obnoxious Yankee fans rubbing his nose in it. He should have stuck it out, he would have been rewarded immensely. He who laughs last, laughs hardest.

4. Jimmy Delach says:

To be honest, I thought the game was over after the 8th inning (was not at the game but I still watched the whole game on TV). Keep in mind, Mariano Rivera did not pitch in Game 162 last year (Cory Wade pitched the 9th in that game) and he was 60-of-61 in save chances against the Rays up until yesterday.

I still can’t believe what happened after that.

5. Mark says:

This is funny, but nowhere near as offensive as what I watched this fan do for the entire game (including the bottom of the ninth) yesterday.

Saddest thing I’ve ever witnessed at a baseball game.

6. Ken Heller says:

I’m starting to believe that the “never give up” mentality of this team is not just some sports writers pipe dream. Game 162 then Game 1 have me smiling. Love this team.

7. Andy says:

Had a Yankees fan sitting in front of me, too. Thankfully he was seated between 2 Rays fans who gave it to him good at the end!! :) Before our comeback, he said, ‘Nice game’ to me as he walked by. As he was leaving, I made sure & reminded him that it was indeed A NICE GAME!!! Loved it :D

8. Dave L says:

Game 162 was part of our partial season ticket package. It was on a school nite early in the school year and my daughter is a creature of habit as far as getting to sleep so we agreed we would only stay for half the game regardless. Left early enough that I was able to catch the last two of innings from home on the Tube. I dont regret it at all. Fans have lives and reasons for everything whether you agree or not.

In this market any fan who shows up for any game and stays for any length of time should be applauded. Its just about enjoyment of life anyway.

9. Doug says:

The Yankees fan’s celebration may have been premature, but at least he was into the game. I didn’t hear a peep out of Rays fans all game or see anyone on their feet until the bottom of the 9th. Popped collar shows the loyalty that exists inside that dome. I enjoyed seeing the 2011 Wildcard banner hanging. They don’t hang those in Yankee stadium, either because we just outright win the division or because their is no more room with 27 World series banners hanging.

• Steve O says:

Hey Doug, scoreboard!

Whatever makes you sleep better with your 0-3 team.

• Stuckey says:

Quit living in the past, Your team is past it’s prime, you guys are old. As for not hearing a peep outta RAYS fans till the ninth, I watched the game and that was clearly not true. What you might be referring to is how rays fans, unlike yanks and sox fans are not obnoxiously jumping about and causing commotion the whole game. It’s a new era in the AL East. So you better get accustomed to 2nd best. GO RAYS!!