The injury bug continues to plague the Rays’ clubhouse. Kyle Farnsworth is the latest, as he now has “elbow soreness” and will see a doctor. According to Marc Topkin, Farnsworth’s status for opening day is “uncertain.”

[UPDATE: Topkin now says Farnsworth will indeed start season on the DL]

There were already reasons to be concerned with the Rays’ unofficial closer.

Farnsworth is 36 and missed time at the end of last season with “elbow tenderness.”

And statistically, his .250 Batting Average on Balls in Play (BABIP) in 2011 was the lowest mark of his career. While the addition of the Rays’ golden gloves behind him certainly helped, his 3.16 FIP shows that his 2.18 ERA was the product of at least a little luck.

Hey, we’ll be the first to admit that we were wrong about Farnsworth. He certainly pitched well early in the first half of 2011. But Troy Percival also pitched well for the first four months of his two-year deal.

And now the Rays have another $3.3 million invested in a pitcher who, at best, may be in and out of the bullpen this season. And at worst, he may have to sit on the shelf for an extended period of time.

1. Mike says:

First of all, happy anniversary!

Second of all, don't know if you saw this or not, but they had some fun at your expense over at DRB over Farnsworth. I particularly liked Cason Jollette patting himself on the back in the comments as he couldn't help but take another shot at you.

• Cork Gaines says:

Farnsworth isn't the first player I was wrong about. And he won't be the last.

• Swede says:

Collette is an ass. If he's not patting himself on the back, he's kissing some big writer's ass. And if he isn't kissing somebody's ass, he is talking shit about somebody behind their back. So don't worry Cork, your not the only one, although he does seem a bit overly-obsessed with you. I like some of the guys at DRB, but everytime I see Collette's name I laugh because he's a joke.

• Steve O says:

Yes, things are different over there, but let's not let things deteriorate over here. I rather enjoy how things tend to stay on topic here. They tend to be more like a message board hangout, which is fine. But it takes a lot more dedication and free time to wade through all the chit chat.

• Mj says:

Yea collette is a bit of a pompous prick. And he seems to be proud of it, which cements his pompous prick status of course. It's too bad because there is some really good content on that site but reading the comments is painful since good discussion gets squashed or good arguments get watered down by circuitous arguments. A stat is only valid if it supports his opinion.

• Mj says:

While my opinion remains the same, to be fair, JC seemed to take the high road on that one. Ok, nuff said.

2. Chris says:

This sets up nicely for Wade Davis to get some saves.

• Cork Gaines says:

Maybe eventually, but not right away. Maddon says Big Dub will be used in long relief to start as he transitions into being a reliever. Plus, keeping his arm stretched out with longer stints will keep his trade value a tad higher as he would be able to step in right away for another team.

• Beth says:

I assumed that Chris was being facetious here.

• Swede says:

Makes sense. But if Farnsworth is out for an extended period of time (Topkin says the DL is now official), then I can certainly see Davis pitching in the 9th inning later in the year if he hasnt been traded.

• Beth says:

Yes, I can certainly see that down the road.

Maybe I'm being a pessimist, but I don't think Farnsworth will be a meaningful part of the Rays this year. If the tender elbow were a one time thing then we could be hopeful that it would heal and he'd be back. But the latter third of last season saw Farnsworth largely out of commission. If a few weeks of spring training has him sidelined, how can anyone expect him to be healthy enough to be an everyday player?

I'm afraid it's back to "closer by committee." It's a shame that Jake McGee hasn't proven consistently effective -- from earlier reports he'd always seemed to be the closer in waiting, but he just hasn't been that good. I guess we hope Peralta can continue to be effective; that Howell has some of the magic back. And if Wade Davis can reinvent himself for the 9th inning, that would be great.

That was my favorite thing about 2010. 7th inning -- Balfour. 8th inning -- Benoit. 9th inning -- Soriano.

3. Mj says:

Perhaps if Bush had made a different decision the other night he'd be finding himself on an MLB bullpen all of a sudden.

• Steve O says:

What an idiot Bush is. It sounds like he stayed on his best behavior until he got cut and then just gave up figuring he had no shot.

4. Mike says:

JP in: Game Chilled! The iceman is back and will resume his role as the best de facto closer in the game. Can't wait for opening day.

5. Political Man says:

Peralta was money closing last season. I have no problems seeing him closing out games. If it's Rodney I'm probably going to lose my mind in the 9th inning.

• MJ says:

Peralta was on last year. This will def be the closer by committee now though. Whomever is the hot hand at the time coupled w/ the best matchups. If anyone can do it, its JoeMa.

6. MJ says:

perhaps Archer getting the call up later? I worry this Farnsworth thing is going to persist all year...