RAYS 10, Twins 4 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Runs! Was it just a coincidence that we picked yesterday to chide the Rays a bit about their anemic spring offense? Probably, but it is still weird that it was yesterday that the Rays cranked out a spring-high 10 runs on 14 hits, including 3 home runs. The big blow was a grand slam by Ben Zobrist (see video below)…Ben Zobrist. In addition to his grand slam, Zorilla added a single, a double, and a walk…Jeff Niemann. It wasn’t the most dominating effort ever, but it was typical Niemann effectiveness, giving up 2 runs in 5 innings, striking out 5 and walking 3.
THE BAD: Not Impressing. If you missed it yesterday, a player had a very unfortunate gaffe yesterday. You can see the video HERE.
THE TELLING: Jeff Niemann has added a cutter to his arsenal this spring…The Rays no. 3 starter (Jeremy Hellickson or Matt Moore) will be more about matchups than who is better…Flash Jennings will DH today.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- If you missed it last night, the victim of the hit-and-run accident involving Matt Bush is now in a coma. [RaysIndex]
- The Rays have announced three more post-game concerts: LL Cool J (June 2, great present for your older brother), Earth, Wind & Fire (June 30, great present for your parents, and what ever happened to Water?), and The Wiggles (August 5, great present for somebody else to spend time with your kids. Trust us, you don’t want to go).
- Gustavo Cabrera, a 16-year old Dominican outfielder worked out for the Rays. Apparently this kid is all the rage in the D.R.. [MLBTR]
- How much blame does Derek Shelton deserve when the offense struggles? [TobyDavid.com]
- Is Ronde Barber’s streak in jeopardy? [JoeBucsFan]