RAYS 7, Orioles 7 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Matt Moore. Moore looked good and did not appear to be holding back, consistently hitting 95-97 on his fastball. He struck out 3 and walked 1 in 1.2 innings…Hak-Ju Lee. It was just during scrub time late in the game, but Lee went 2-2. But what was really interesting is that Lee was in the game as a DH, again. Not that the Rays would ever use Lee as a DH, but it shows that they want to get a good long look at his bat this spring. He already has 17 at bats this spring which is a lot considering he only has 24 games above single-A under his belt…Stephen Vogt. Kid can rake. He leads the Rays with 8 hits this spring including 3 doubles and a triple. He also has 3 walks and can play several positions. You can tell Joe Maddon likes him and we will probably see him in the big leagues at some point this season, but like Lee, he is still inexperienced, with only 31 games in triple-A at the end of last season.
THE BAD: Tim Beckham. 1-19 is not how you impress in Spring Training. And while Hak-Ju Lee is not exactly killing baseballs, it has been Beckham that has seen extended time at second base. The team says that is just to give him more flexibility defensively, but you can read the writing on the wall. At some point, Lee will need to be in triple-A and he will be playing shortstop…Chris Gimenez. The second catchers spot appears to be a battle between Gimenez and Jose Lobaton. And while Gimenez already has 5 hits, he also has 8 strikeouts and no walks in just 22 at bats. That’s not good.
THE TELLING: Carlos Pena batted second again…Both Sean Rodriguez and Reid Brignac played shortstop yesterday, but not at the same time. That would have been weird…Jeff Keppinger will play first base today.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Matt Moore has a great fastball, but Roger Mooney writes that it is his changeup that separates him from other hard throwers. [TBO.com]
- No expanded replay for Major League Baseball this season. [MLB.com]
- Evan Longoria’s significant-other is running a March Madness contest. And yes, we only visit Playboy.com for the contests. [Playboy.com]
- I had my 2-year old fill out my tournament bracket this year. You can see it here. [BI Sports]
- Now comedians are trashing on David Price and his towels. [YouTube]
- The Bucs made a big splash in free agency. [Joe Bucs Fan]