RAYS 6, Pirates 4 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Luke Power. Luke Scott hit a long home run which is a good sign that not only is his bat ready for opening day, but his swing might not be feeling anymore effects from surgery…
THE BAD: Another Bruise. Fernando Rodney took a line drive off his forearm in the 9th inning. Supposedly it is only a bruise, which means we won’t see him again until May.
THE TELLING: We now know that Jeremy Hellickson will start the third game of the year followed by Matt Moore and Jeff Niemann…We’ve mentioned this before, but no non-roster position player has made the Rays opening day lineup since Eric Hinske in 2008…Desmond Jennings and Reid Brignac are expected to play in the field today.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- It’s official, BJ Upton’s soreness that was supposed to keep him out 2-3 days, will now land him on the DL to start the year. Can’t say we are surprised. [TampaBay.com]
- The baseball season has already started for two teams. Here is a look at some of the highlights you might not have seen on SportsCenter. [BI Sports]
- Roger Mooney writes about the non-roster players that suddenly have a shot at making the Rays opening day roster. [TBO.com]
- Tony Tufano remains in a medically induced coma. [TBO.com]
- Interestingly, John Sickels doesn’t include any Rays players in his list of his favorite players 25 and under. That means no Matt Moore and no Desmond Jennings. [Minor League Ball]
- The group, “Build it Downtown Tampa” has written a letter to Bud Selig urging him to get involved in the stadium situation…Trust us folks, Selig already has his hands all over this mess. [WTSP.com]
- An interesting look at the time leading up to Matt Moore’s decision to sign an extension with the Rays from the point of view of his agent. [MLB.com]