Yankees 5, RAYS 2 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Matt Joyce. We are pretty sure Sweet Swingin’ Matty made a ball cry yesterday when he hit a home run well over the center field fence (you can see the home run below)…JP Howell. The Dude retired all five batters he faced and looks to be healthy for the first time since 2009.
THE BAD: Evan Longoria. We are not worried about the bat. But considering his late start, it is a little worrisome that Longo already has four errors…BJ Upton. Upton was scratched from the lineup and Joe Maddon sounded like this could become a concern if Upton is unable to play today…Equipment. Luke Scott is apparently still wearing his orange sunglasses (see them here) from his time with the Orioles because he is still waiting for his new blue sunglasses. How does this happen in 2012? It has been two months since Scott signed with the Rays. We can go on Amazon and order band-aids that look like bacon and have them in two days!
THE TELLING: Kyle Farnsworth started so that the Yankees wouldn’t get an extra look at the Rays’ starting pitchers. On the flip side, the Rays lineup had a very opening day feel to it, presumably to get the bats a good look at the Yankees pitchers…Jose Molina worked all 9 innings as he preps for what may be the busiest season of his career.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- We know this scares some of you, but be prepared for JP Howell to be leaned on heavily this season. [TobyDavid.com]
- Here’s Toby David’s podcast from yesterday with stuff on the Rays. [TobyDavid.com]
- A lot is going against Wade Davis early on, and Joe Maddon not wanting the Yankees to see Jeff Niemann yesterday was just the latest bad sign. But Big Dub is still hoping to land in the rotation and a decision could come this weekend. [TBO.com]
- No surprise to Rays fans that are well aware of the bias in sports news coverage at ESPN. [BI Sports]
- ESPN.com ranked the top 500 players in baseball, and the bottom of the list is littered with Rays catchers and middle infielders. As reader Thad pointed out, so much for being strong up the middle. [ESPN]
- This is fantasy-focused, but here is a solid breakdown of Matt Moore. [ESPN]
- Tim Tebow and the Rays? [TampaBay.com]