Phillies 2, RAYS 1 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Longo Goes Long. Evan Longoria hit his second home run of the spring. We will have more on this in a little bit. But in the meantime, you can see the home run below…Briggy D. Reid Brignac may only be 80%, which means with a bat, he is now about 40% of an average hitter. But apparently he still has it with the glove, making a nice diving stab from the right-handed bat shift (see below).
THE BAD: Hellboy’s Ratios. Jeremy Hellickson pitched well, allowing just 1 run in 6 innings. But what is a little worrisome is that he only had 3 strikeouts to go with 2 walks, and now has just 9 Ks in 16 innings with 5 walks. That is less than 2 strikeouts for every walk, and only 5.1 Ks per 9 innings. This was something that escaped Hellickson a little last year. And if he is ever going to be a dominant big league pitcher, he needs to get his strikeout-to-walk ratio closer to 3 and his Ks per 9 innings closer to 9.
THE TELLING: Desmond Jennings played seven innings in center field and Reid Brignac played four innings at shortstop. Several of the regulars played 8 or 9 innings, including Evan Longoria, Carlos Pena, Ben Zobrist, and Matt Joyce.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Will the Rays pick Brandon Guyer or one of the non-roster invitees to fill out the outfield? We’d prefer Guyer also, but all signs point to Jesus Feliciano or possibly Will Rhymes, both of whom are still in camp and have received a ton of playing time and several positions. [TobyDavid.com]
- Or maybe the Rays will just trade for an outfielder. According to Ken Rosenthal, the Rays are looking. [@Ken_Rosenthal]
- JP Howell is finally pitching with confidence. [TampaBay.com]
- Carl Crawford might be out until May for the Red Sox. [WEEI.com]
- Are the Bucs going to draft Trent Richardson? [JoeBucsFan]