RAYS 3, Miami 2 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Wade Davis. Is Big Dub was a lock for the rotation, he would have stayed back in Port Charlotte and pitched in a minor league game. But with his job very much on the line, he rode the bus to Jupiter and delivered 5 1-run innings with 5 Ks and no walks. It was just the big start he needed. But is it too little, too late?
THE BAD: Scrubs. Long road trips during the Spring usually end up in less-than-stellar lineups. And the Rays appeared to hit their MLB-mandated-minimum of 3 regulars in the starting lineup (Flash Jennings, Sean Rodriguez, Matt Joyce).
THE TELLING: BJ Upton played in a minor league game, his first action since colliding with Flash Jennings…Once again Jose Lobaton got the nod against the big leaguers and Chris Gimenez went against the scrubs. At this point, it would be shocking if LoboTron was not on the opening day roster…Two guys that are expected to be on the opening day bench (Elliot Johnson, Sam Fuld) got the start which bodes well for their shots at making the team…Robinson Chirinos is still battling concussion symptoms.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Quick reminder: Bobby Fenton is on 620AM this morning. If you love the Rays, you’ll enjoy listening to Fenton.
- Also, another Rays-friendly radio source, Toby David, is busy writing and podcasting on his website. There aren’t a lot of local voices that are Pro-Rays, but TD32 is one. And a little birdie told us he has a new show that will be starting soon. That is good news indeed. [TobyDavid.com]
- Ozzie Guillen on Joe Maddon: “That’s the way Joe Maddon rolls — he walks in with Namath, I walk in with Joey Cora. … If we win this year, I’ll walk in with Gloria Estefan.” [TampaBay.com]
- Coco Crisp, who nearly signed with the Rays this off-season (which would have likely kept Sam Fuld off the roster), now regrets signing with the A’s. [USA Today]
- Under Joe Maddon, the Rays tend to be a bit more aggressive early in the spring. But as we approach opening day, the offense still isn’t clicking. Should we be worried? If the Rays struggle like they did in 2011 at the plate, should Derek Shelton be replaced? [BRaysball Talk]
- Tim Tebow doesn’t make much sense for the Bucs, does it? [JoeBucsFan]