Orioles 3, RAYS 1 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Wade Davis. Big Dub is battling for a spot in the rotation, so there is no time to mess around and work on things. And his first outing showed that he is not messing around. One thing Davis can do is show that he is back to be more of a groundball pitcher like he was earlier in his career. And while it was just two innings yesterday, he had 3 groundballs, 2 flyballs and a strikeout, giving up just one hit. Good start.
THE BAD: Offense. Rays starters went 1-17, and the team as a whole didn’t pick up their second hit until the eighth inning. They finished with just 3 hits and 3 walks…Alex Cobb. 3 hits and 2 walks and had to be pulled with just 1 out in his second inning…Reid Brignac. His bat is what is keeping him from being an everyday shortstop. So it doesn’t help when Briggy boots an easy double-play ball. His glove is supposed to be his superior weapon.
THE TELLING: Now it is not even certain if Evan Longoria will be ready tomorrow. Longo says he needs another “day or so more“…Carlos Pena is expecting to play today…Sam Fuld and Luke Scott are both still on track to play by the end of the week…Matt Moore is expected to make his spring debut sometime next week…The Rays will be hanging a Wild Card 2011 banner to The Trop.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- We made an appearance on Justin Pawlowski’s debut show on 1010 Sports. You can listen to it here (we were in the “Around the Bay” segment. [CommishOnline]
- Evan Longoria shut down his batting practice early today. It looks like he won’t be ready to play today with Wednesday now more likely. [TampaBay.com]
- The Rays are no longer the only stadium in the big leagues with a fish tank. [BI Sports]
- The Rays are projected to have the best defense in the majors this season. [CBS Sports]
- Gary Shelton writes about the controversies surrounding Luke Scott. [TampaBay.com]
- Rocco Baldelli did a Q&A with ESPN’s Grantland.com. [Grantland]
- BJ Upton struggled with “soft” pitches on the outside half of the plate last year. That is, until the final month of the season. Did something click, or was it just another one of those BJ hot streaks? [ESPN]
- The Rays may hit more home runs this season, but it won’t change the way Joe Maddon manages. [TBO.com]
- What about Ronde?!? [JoeBucsFan]