Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says the Nationals have “cooled on BJ Upton,” noting that they have other options.
There has been speculation in the past that the Nationals will just wait until the off-season when Upton is a free agent.
At this point, Upton could still be dealt at the trade deadline, but that will only happen if he is having a big season with the bat and a contender feels he can be a difference-maker down the stretch. That might be asking a lot.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Jose Lobaton’s shoulder is progressing nicely and is expected to be 100 percent by spring training. [@TBTimes_Rays]
- Josh Hamilton confirmed that he did indeed have a relapse from his recovery for alcohol addiction. [ESPN]
- A few weeks ago it looked like the Rays and Indians were competing for Carlos Pena and Casey Kotchman, with Kotch as the consolation prize. After Pena signed with the Rays, the Indians did indeed sign Kotchman to a 1-year, $3 million deal. [ESPN]
- Carl Crawford is accused of swindling a lot of money from a former friend. They were so close that CC would often fly the friend to Rays games at the Trop. [BI Sports]
- A baseball card executive appears to confirm that Manny Ramirez not only used performance enhancing drugs, but he also used corked bats. [BI Sports]
- BRaysball Talk reminisces about Dan Johnson’s brief tenure with the Rays. [BRaysball Talk]
- The great Bucs players from the Super Bowl team will start becoming eligible for the Hall of Fame next year. Who is going to get in? [Joe Bucs Fan]