When we put together our most recent opening day roster projection, one problem we noticed was that the Rays appear to have eight relievers for just seven spots. And considering Burke Badenhop still has a minor league option he seemed like a good bet to start the year in the minors.
But now another scenario may be presenting itself. Brandon Gomes, who had surgery on his back in November, will be limited at the start of camp according to Marc Topkin.
This sounds like a DL-trip in the making. And if Gomes does start the season on the shelf, Badenhop will find his way on to the roster.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Evan Longoria had what Marc Topkin is describing as “minor surgery” on his foot back in November. The procedure was done to remove the Morton’s neuroma which has hindered him in the past. [TampaBay.com]
- Here are the Rays’ non-roster invitees to Spring Training. [TampaBay.com]
- Apparently the FCC is reviewing sports blackouts. And today is the last day to submit your opinion. Just go to EndBlackouts.com if you want more access to Bucs games that aren’t sold out. [EndBlackouts.com via Deadspin.com]
- Scott Kazmir is currently without a team and will throw for scouts on Wednesday. Recent reports say that Kid K’s fastball is no longer fast, reaching just 85-86 mph. [Buster Olney]
- Derrick Brooks is not going to be a coach for the Bucs. [JoeBucsFan]
- Here is another one of those “if your favorite team was a beer” lists. This time, the Rays are Natty Ice. I have tried lots of different beers in my day (Dogfish 90 is my personal favorite) including some really bad stuff (True story: when I lived in the Bronx, the Bodega downstairs sold a generic beer. It was just a white can with the word “Beer” in black. It was awful.). Anyway, I don’t think I have ever had Natty Ice. [Pinterest]