Manny Ramirez has signed a minor league deal with the Oakland A’s. On the surface it is worth $500,000. But after serving his suspension, his prorated salary will be just $306,000 (per Peter Gammons).
You know who makes more than that on the Rays? EVERYBODY. If Elliot Johnson makes the team he will make more money in 2012 than a 20-year vet with Hall of Fame numbers.
Either Manny is desperate to go out on his terms. Or he just really loves playing baseball. Then again, Manny is famously aloof and a clubhouse attendant once found $10,000 in the glove box of Manny’s car. So maybe money just doesn’t matter to Manny.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- All 38 pitchers and catchers reported to camp yesterday. Happy Baseball Season!
- Season-ticket sales are up “slightly.” But corporate support is still lagging. [TBO.com]
- Sam Fuld wrote a guest-column about Game 162 for ESPN’s Grantland website. [Grantland]
- Last week we reported that the Rays would be adding DJ Kitty as a new mascot this season. Well, that news went viral and even ended up on the website for Time Magazine. [Time]
- Can’t say we blame businesses in Clearwater showing the Phillies so much love. But it still stings. [Big League Stew]
- A writer in a local paper called Joe Maddon the best coach in Tampa Bay history. However, we are not mentioning his name or linking to the story.
As for Manny, well, you can sum up his entire tenure with the Rays with this GIF…