Evan Longoria says he has never regretted signing his team-friendly contract (via Marc Topkin of TampaBay.com).

“I can honestly say that I’ve never regretted doing it. I can look at myself in the mirror and say that I made the right decision. You never know, who knows, one or two years in I might’ve hurt myself and not been the player that I am today.”

These comments come on the heels of some false rumors that were being spread on Twitter that Longoria was upset and wanted to be traded. We ignored the report because the source was not credible, but some in the local media actually addressed the rumors.

Anyway, our only problem with Longoria’s comments is that the hypothetical no longer applies. We do know that Longoria did not get hurt “one or two years in.”

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• The Rays season opener against the Yankees will be carried on the MLB Network.
  • Pat Burrell has officially retired. Of course, some in the Bay Area would say he tossed in the towel about three years ago. [USA Today]
  • Would Peyton Manning sign with the Bucs? [JoeBucsFan.com]

Tags

People think Longo got a “bad” deal , the truth is he will make $47 mil before he is 29 yrs old ( avg $7 mil a year)…you know now many curent ML stars have done that? almost none…Look at Price, Joyce, Hell boy, Rodq. they are playing for peanuts after years in majors,
    2016 Longo signs for $100s of millions, career over,
    I’ll Never forget when some media type interviewed longo after signing his $47 mil contract inferring he shouldn’t have signed it…Longo said “Well how much money do I need?”

• Tom says:

I agree (although I would not call the money made by any of the players peanuts). Money has a diminishing marginal utility, if someone offers you enough to be set for life at the age of 23 you should accept the offer.

• J 2.0 says:

Wow Don. Way to go man. This is your first post that is not only positive, but I actually agree with. Did your kid grab your iPhone when you weren’t looking or something this is unlike you. If it is you please keep these coming not the negative ones.

2. Charles says:

Nice write up by ex-Bull Dirk Hayhurst about ex-Bull Russ Canzler:

3. Greg says:

“Anyway, our only problem with Longoria’s comments is that the hypothetical no longer applies.”

So are you saying you wish Evan regretted the deal? This can’t be what you mean but it makes no sense. And when did you start referring to yourself in the plural? How many people are typing on your keyboard?

• Cork Gaines says:

to answer your first question, I meant exactly what I wrote, that the hypothetical is no longer relevant to the question that was asked. In other words, the risk factor is a reason for making the deal, but doesnt explain how he feels now knowing there was no risk.

As for the second question…HERE IS A POST FROM APRIL, 2006, the second day this site was open. So yeah, pretty much since the beginning. And it has nothing to do with how many people are typing, but more about how many people work on the site (more than one).

But to answer your third question, there are no people typing on my keyboard. I dictate these posts to magical typing ferries who then dance on the keyboard producing the words you see on the screen.

• Sarah says:

Granted, we all may be parsing his off hand statement too much, but it’s clear to me that he was reflecting on his thinking at the time. Of course had he been able to see the future and predict all star appearances, ROY and Gold Glove he might have taken a different negotiating stance, but the point is — he couldn’t have predicted that. I assume the way he views it now is that he made the right choice at that moment. I guess there would be some people who would be kicking themselves because they could have gotten more had they rolled the dice – and those are the same guys who keep checking the price of stock they sold and losing sleep because they might have done better if they’d sold it later. People who prefer not to have ulcers make these decisions and move on.

I like the way Matt Moore put it: he said to keep in mind that if he ends up ruing his contract in a few years it will be a good thing – it will mean that he met or exceeded expectations and is off to a great career — and he’s still earning enough to ensure his family’s future. Isn’t that the definition of “win-win”?

• Cork Gaines says:

Sarah nailed it. It is not the injuries we can’t predict. Because we actually can predict fairly well that a position player will not have a career-threatening injury. It is the talent peak we can’t predict.

4. Political_Man says:

I think its pretty easy to for these knuckleheads to pass up on Evan Longoria’s millions. These people are either fools or trying to start some sort of discontent. Kind of reminds me of the same idiots on that stupid gameshow Deal or no deal who get are offered hundred of thousands of dollars but keep going on the chance the might have the million. Morons, the whole lot of them.

5. Amanda says:

That quote from Longo came from Intentional Talk on MLB Network. I heard the whole conversation and in context. (They were supposed to show more today — just him playing golf with Millar, which I’m going to watch tomorrow morning before work.) He went on to say that it’s always good to be outplaying your contract, and it’s worse to have ga-zillions and not playing up to that. He also added that he advised Matt Moore that he had no regrets in signing the contract when he did, and he said the quote Cork used above. But he also said that his FA would start all that much earlier and he’d be able to have his contract then.

I think the most telling part of the conversation was the bit about always good to be outplaying your contract. Hopefully that means that when he does sign his next contract, his head will be in the right place, no matter how much he signs for.

6. Drew says:

Don’t forget the millions in endorsement money he has received over the last few years

7. J 2.0 says: