File this under things we would like to see the Rays do to help improve attendance…The University of Michigan’s ticket office has their own twitter page in which they send out ticket deals for sporting events. For example…

Ticket Alert: Score $1 tickets (reg. $7) to @umichwbball vs. Northwestern tonight @ 6:30pm. Available to purchase at Crisler Center.

Would it make a huge difference? Probably not. But it is free advertising. So why not?

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Joe Maddon said Matt Moore’s abdominal strain is “nothing vital” and that the team is just being “over-cautious.” Also, Luke Scott will miss the first 3-4 exhibition games because of his surgically repaired shoulder.
  • Danys Baez, who is second on the Rays’ all-time saves list with 71, has announced he is retiring. [Ken Rosenthal]
  • AJ Burnett on Jose Molina’s ability to frame pitches and convince an umpire a ball is actually a strike: “His hands are the main thing; the way that he can make a ball look like a strike is by far one of the best I’ve been around.” Andrew Friedman also talks about how good Molina is at throwing out basestealers. [NY Times]
  • Jayson Stark says the Rays’ rotation is “quietly among MLB’s best.” Story includes a lot of fun tidbits on the Rays and how good the starting pitching has been in recent years. [ESPN]
  • To say the Cubs regret the Matt Garza trade might an understatement (thanks Thad). [Chicago Tribune]
  • Jaime Edmondson talks about the reactions to news that she is dating Evan Longoria. [SI.com]

Tags

1. Michael says:

You can’t lower ticket prices. They are already rock bottom for the cheap seats. Free/cheaper tickets undermine the existing holders.

• Cork Gaines says:

I was just using one example that Michigan used. It is the general concept that that I think should be implemented. That is, promote ticket sales through social media. There are other types of promotions that can be done that dont involve lowering ticket prices.

That being said, I’m not sure having an occasional “sale” on ticket prices is as bad as you think. Businesses do it all the time. The people that paid the regular price got first dibs on tickets as well as a guarantee into the game.

Besides, I think most would prefer more fans at the game, even if that meant somebody else paid less than they did.

• Beth says:

I agree, Cork. The idea isn’t that you want to lower ticket prices generally. I think you avoid competing with your own ticket buyers by having these sales be last minute, and only for less desirable sections. I like to plan ahead and I don’t like sitting in the upper deck, so I’ll pay full price to get field level seats a few weeks ahead of time. But if I were more price conscious, I’d look for twitter offers for last minute deals at the 300 level.

• J 2.0 says:

Milwauke sells nose bleeds in the Uecker section for $1. The Rays could look into ideas like that. They sell them for $1 in obstructed view areas. A little more profitable than putting blue tarp over them.

2. angrybuddha says:

From the ESPN article: “If you’re talking one through three or maybe even one through four, I’d still take the Phillies,” said one American League GM. “But if you’re talking one through seven, it’s the Rays. No question.”

One through *seven* !!!

So good.

3. Beth says:

Regarding the Cubs and the Garza trade: I assume the Cubs made the trade thinking they weren’t in rebuilding mode, and that a quality starting pitcher could make them contenders, right?

Fact is, Garza had an excellent year for a so-so team. And while the Cubs clearly traded a number of prospects, so far the only part of the trade to have a significant impact on the major league club is Fuld – and apart from a few noteworthy weeks he’s really a back up player. Jury’s still out on the rest — at least one would need to develop into an everyday MLB player, I think, to say that the Cubs did poorly in this deal.