Click Here For Boxscore
Off-Season (click image for random Wikipedia page)

Earlier this week we wondered if there would be any lingering animosity between the Rays new reliever and the local media due to an ugly incident back in 2009.

Well, yesterday, Fernando Rodney called Marc Topkin to apologize about the incident.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

Tags

1. LSX says:

Thank heavens Crisp didn't sign here. I can't stand that guy.

2. Tone says:

I am hoping for a Pena and Damon package deal. Not much looks appealing aside from those two. Maybe Pena and Matsui could work; Godzilla does have very good numbers at the Trop historically.

• LSX says:

There's this guy who crushes lefties and would be an instant fan favorite and leader in the clubhouse. He would come super cheap too. I think he played here once upon a time actually.

Yeah, all personal bias aside, I honestly feel that Jonny Gomes would make a lot of sense for the Rays as a platoon player.

• Tone says:

Having both Pena and Gomes back would be great, but I'm likely in a small minority among Rays fans on blogs. Everyone always trashes Pena, but they seem to forget he hits homeruns, walks, and collects RBI's; while playing great defense.

• Crash says:

For 10+ mil a year, Pena wasn't worth what he had become. I love the idea of Los coming back, but at a severely reduced price.

• LSX says:

I completely agree with you guys. I would love for Pena to come back, but only if we can get him at a good price.

3. Beth says:

Well, now Rizzo is gone.

Must be that they are going to sign Prince Fielder, right?

• Tom says:

I wonder if the Cubs will move Lehair? It is disappointing not to get Rizzo but there are still 1B options available.

• Nathan says:

I can only hope that AF has some deal working to acquire Murphy from the Mets. Alonso and Rizzo are the exact players this front office normally targets (young, cheap, years of control) and those are the types that are dwindling away. Pena, Kotch, Chavez. I don't get excited about those guys. Pena sounds good now, but as a fan, I got awfully frustrated with seeing 4 or 5K's for each HR.

4. Jared says:

How did we not get this deal done? I am losing faith in the front office. We cant Alonso or Rizzo? This is ridiculous. Either other teams are refusing to work with us or Friedman is afraid to pull the trigger. This kid the Cubs gave up has next to nothing as far as MLB experience, he's 25 years old, and his stats aren't that impressive in the minors. How was this a better deal for the Padres than Davis, who is 25 years old, has a lot of MLB experience, and has good #'s in the minors with promising #'s in the pros. Doesn't make any sense to me.

• Tom says:

I personally know next to nothing about Cashner but FWIW the Bill James projections expect him to have an ERA of 3.36 compared to 3.87 for Davis. It is quit possible the Cubs find Cashner more valuable than Davis, Niemann, Torres, and Cobb.

5. Tom says:

That should be Padres not Cubs.

6. Jared says:

Projections are great, but there are actual results that work in Davis' favor I just can't figure this one out. I understood not wanting to give up Shields for Alonso, but scratching my head here now.

• Jared says:

Furthermore, Archer was a higher rated prospect in the Cubs organization than Cashner. It would seem that we could've made that deal rather than giving up Davis, who in my opinion is far superior than the other two, and is under control for a good amount of time in an affordable contract.

7. Jared says:

I know I am ranting now, but it is obvious I am upset by this. All I can hope for is that Friedman feels he can do better by getting Trumbo or Morales, but I don't see the Angels needing pitching.

8. Joe says:

I am so FREAKING pissed right now!! I am FREAKING LIVID!! How the HECK were they not in on him?! How easy it would have been to make this deal! This is the kind of player the Rays "covet". If not him, as I have said, might as well pay Fielder.

This is utter BS we can't (or don't) want Anthony Rizzo. Utter FREAKING contempt. It's a load of CRAP! I will not be profane but this is the kind of CRAP is why I LOATHE our senior management. Will there be ANY explanation on this either? NO excuse for Rizzo, and if they go to the Angels just because they have "organizational cognizance" of their organization over the Padres, then Friedman and Silverman can go kiss me.

9. The Rays really need some pop at first base. I don't mind the addition of Rodney, but now it's time to upgrade the sticks.