Click Here For Boxscore
Off-Season (click image for random Wikipedia page)

According to Marc Topkin, Joe Maddon’s contract talks are “progressing.”

Maddon is in the final year of a contract that will pay him approximately $1.3 million in 2012. And like the Rays key players, Maddon is due for a significant raise.

We have speculated previously that Maddon’s next deal will probably be similar to Joe Girardi’s 3-year, $9 million deal, which is still well-below the 10-year, $50 million contract Mike Scioscia signed with the Angels.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Jon Heyman speculates that the Rays and Indians may be competing for Carlos Pena and/or Casey Kotchman. [@JonHeymanCBS]
  • Willy Aybar has finally been released from jail in the Dominican Republic after his latest arrest for domestic assault. [Dominican Today]
  • We’re not sure how 15 of the 30 teams can be “winter winners,” but the Rays are one of them. [CBS Sports]

Tags

1. Tone says:

I am really hoping for a Carlos Pena return. If not him then I could settle for Kotchman or Lee. Adding Pena to the line-up with Scott would be very nice, assuming Scott’s shoulder is not a problem. I loved rooting for Pena and his defense was amazing; when he was on, he hit gigantic bombs in bunches. Seeing some of those in the Trop again would be sweet.

• Joe says:

All the sudden we become a HR team.

Upton in his contract year, Longoria, Zobrist, Joyce, Scott and hopefully Pena, more hopefully Trumbo.

2. J 2.0 says:

Lee would be most ideal through FA. I say still trade for Trumbo.

If Maddon gets $3mil. out of these guys, I’ll copy and eat this posting unless Boras is his agent….Think he will settle for $1.5 a yr. ( a nice raise for him) plus a extra bottle of wine(free) each night…of course you never Know $5mil. for a broke down .240 hitting DH could be a sign…
    Willy Aybar for DH/1st base he would hit higher that .240 bet you

4. Joe says:

I will never call the Rays a rich team but I am confident we can outbid the Tribe who are so desperate for money that the GM has already asked permission to even offer Los a deal.

5. RedBull says:

Don, Maddon will absolutely make more than $1.5 mill! You’re out of your tree if you think his agent would settle for that! And Luke Scott was hurt last year, so I’m willing to give that a pass…I’m willing to bet he hits .265 or higher with 22+ HR, and I know he’ll drive in 80+ this year. There’s really no reason to be so negative about our team all the time…you seem a lot more devilish than your everyday devils advocate.

• Don says:

OK,I’ll bet you MAddon doesn’t make as much money as Girardi as stated in the posting (forget the Free wine)
      and that Luke Scott doesn’t out hit any player the Rays are paying more than $5mil salary ( that includes Upton, but Upton will play the field and steal 40 bases)…and a couple of the $1mil players will out hit Scott
      So what kinda of a (financial) signing was that… IS that negative enough or would you like me to say he can’t out hit kotchman in his best year and probably costed twice as much as Kotchman would…sounds like the Devils (AF) work to me