Another former Rays player may be heading to a division rival. This time it is Johnny Damon. According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Yankees have spoken with Damon about being their DH.
It is interesting that Damon wasn’t even good enough to get an offer from the Rays but now he could end up with the Yankees. But it is even more telling that the Yankees newfound payroll constraints are limiting is forcing them to now look at a DH that even the Rays wouldn’t take.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Rays FanFest will be held on February 18.
- Andrew Friedman said the Rays are still looking for a bat, but that player doesn’t necessarily have to play first base. [TampaBay.com]
- Marc Topkin says an extension for Joe Maddon may not happen until the end of January because the skipper just left for a European vacation. [TampaBay.com]
- The Yankees are also reportedly interested in Carlos Pena as a potential DH. [SI.com]
- The Rays spoke with the Astros about acquiring Carlos Lee, but according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the Rays aren’t willing to take on Lee’s contract ($18.5M in 2012) even if the Astros ate a big chunk of it. [Boston Globe]
- The last time the Bucs hired a head coach, they took a guy with no head coaching experience. This time, not only does it look like they want a guy with top guy experience, but one scenario has them hiring THREE former head coaches. [Joe Bucs Fan]