Click Here For Boxscore
Off-Season (click image for random Wikipedia page)

The Rays may not be done adding relievers, and now they are setting their sight a bit higher.

According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the Rays are one team that will become more active in pursuing former Phillies closer Ryan Madson if he has trouble finding the right deal and his price comes down.

Madson is reportedly seeking a 4-year, $44 million deal. But if that doesn’t happen, he could take a 1-year deal and try again next year.

It’s a long-shot, but the Rays have written a big check to Rafael Soriano, so they could do it again.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• The Rays are one of several teams showing interest in Eric Chavez. He can play first base, but the assumption is that the Rays would want him as a DH. [MLBTR]
  • Let’s pretend Harbor Island is in Tampa Bay (the actual body of water). Would this work? Harbor Island is 177 acres and you only need 12-15 for a stadium. [BRaysball Talk]
  • Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle confirms that the Rays were “heavy on” Coco Crisp. [@SusamSlusser]
  • There were reports that the Rays were showing interest in Rockies outfielder Seth Smith. Either those reports were incorrect, or the Rays lost interest as Troy E. Renck says the Rays are “not in the hunt.” [Denver Post]
  • Rays Prospects has all of the 2012 minor league coaching staffs. The list includes former Devil Ray Paul Hoover, who had 21 at bats with the D-Rays in 2001-02. [Rays Prospects]
  • Last week I spent 24 straight hours watching the brand new battle between ESPN and NBC Sports. Here is the result. [BI Sports]
  • At one point it looked like the Bucs were close to naming Mike Sherman as their next head coach. But the Bucs still have several interviews scheduled this week with some big names. [Joe Bucs Fan]

Tags

1. Danny says:

Harbor Island??? Ha, no traffic jams getting in and out of that location….laughable idea by whomever dreamt that up….

now, can we get a 1b/dh and a bullpen arm and get this thing started….pitchers and catchers in just over a month!!!

GO RAYS!!!!

• Cork Gaines says:

obviously it was just a daydream piece. nobody thinks this is actually going to happen. That being said, nobody drives to Yankee Stadium and they still manage 4 million fans a season.

• krewezer says:

8 million people within a subway ride and another 6 million with a quick rail/subway connection to Yankee Stadium. It would be nice not to have to drive to the ballpark or pay for parking, but obviously Tampa does not have the infrastructure in place, and likely never will, for such a process.

2. Ro says:

The island idea actually addressed getting to and from the island by ferry transports and such. Sure it’s a dream idea, but it was well thought out and not at all laughable in my opinion. It sounds pretty awesome and fun, to me. Guess my imagination is alive and active.

3. Joe says:

I still can’t picture Madson in a Rays jersey because if his price comes down to what we would pay and at this point, it may close then the Angels or Rangers will just grab him instead.

4. Carey says:

No offense to the current site, but DRays Bay’s suggestion a few months back made the most sense of any I’ve heard (sans their proposal of using the “sail” design). For those who missed it, they suggested using the city land on the west bank of the Hillsborough River just south of I-275.

It’s city land (which helps) and currently is undeveloped. I agree that something there could tie in nicely with the riverwalk development and their desire to create a link from Seminole Heights to Downtown.

The only hurdle I can see is if UT had plans to expand to that area. Makes so much sense on so many levels.

5. CRRaysHead90 says:

I give Amanda points for creativity here. I don’t necessarily agree with the island idea myself but still, points for thinking out side the box. And I do agree with her last couple of lines.